inHerit Logo

Ballybane Tearooms (fmr)

Author

City of Albany

Place Number

00061
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

168-180 Stirling Tce Albany

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Backerei und Konditorei
R Bell & Co Store

Local Government

Albany

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1921, Constructed from 1887

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Category B

• Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Statement of Significance

The place is one of a large number of important heritage buildings in Stirling Terrace. Stirling Terrace is one of the significant Local Heritage Areas in the City of Albany. Robert Bell occupied the buildings , in 1921 and set up R Bell and Co as a general store and warehouse.

Physical Description

Single storey
Inter-War building with Federation influences
Symmetrical design
Smooth rendered façade with some adornment
Parapet wall not quite concealing a hipped corrugated iron roof
Some elements of the building, such as the parapet wall finishes, emulate the two storey neighbour built in 1903.
Two storey
Smooth rendered façade
Similar treatment of pillars to single storey building
Two pairs of windows in second storey finished with fancy architraves
A pair of tall chimneys with moulded tops
Parapet wall concealing hipped roof (formerly skillion roof)
Bakehouse
Set at the rear of Bell's Hardware
Small scale single storey structure
Building fabrics weatherboard and corrugated iron
Poor condition but still holds one of the original ovens

History

R Bell and Co is a composite business made up from buildings erected over a number of different architectural
eras. The first structure on the lots was a bakehouse built in 1887. Johann Greeve and his business partner
Johann Muller moved form Hahndorf in South Australia to Albany in 1886. They established a commercial
bakehouse in Perth Rd (now Albany Highway) in 1886. In 1887 they relocated the bakery called Backerei und
Konditorei to the Stirling Terrace address which was behind their residence and tearooms that they leased
from Mrs McKail. The bakehouse has two work areas and ovens to guard against 'rope' a pathogen that
affects dough. At this stage Muller left to go back to South Australia and Greeve anglisiced the business name
to Ballybane Tearooms. The McKail estate sold the premises to Gills Knight in 1901 and in 1903 Greeve
purchased the property and modernised the whole complex on Lot 37.
Greeve sold the premises in 1923 to Edward Balston a farmer from the Albany district. On his retirement
Greeve lived in a home built by Josiah Norman in Aberdeen St. After the bakehouse changed hands it was
operated by a number of different bakers including Lord and Day. The bakehouse remained in production
until 1961 and after that was used for some time as a bottling plant for wine. In 2000 the bakehouse was in a
state of disprepair and used as storage space by Bell's hardware. Fabric and fittings of the bakehouse have
been preserved including one of the original Metters ovens.
CH Neumann, a produce merchant, built the double storey building on the centre block in 1903. In 1905
another part of R Bell and Co was built by Greeves who opened the Ballybane Tearooms on the site of the old
tearooms. Another source (Considine & Griffiths) dates the buildings as earlier than 1905, indicating that they
could have been the cafe` started as part of Greeve abd Muller's business in 1887 and quoted in an 1889
newspaper advertisement for Greeve's tea and coffee rooms. Over time the tearooms became very popular.
Robert Bell built the single storey place on a vacant block of land in 1921.
In 1994 R. Bell and Co was owned by the partnership of Clem Clementson and Richard Passmore who
continued to operate under the name Bell. Bell's remains as a rare example of the old country general store
selling liquor, hardware and garden supplies among other things

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Modifications: Signage and Windows

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
D Greeve; "Correspondence with Heritage Today". 1999
L Johnson; "Town of Albany Heritage Survey". 1994
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
7665 Design parameters for Stirling Terrace heritage areas. Heritage Study {Other} 2000
5038 Stirling Terrace, Albany : conservation plan. March 2001. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2001

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Present Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Wall RENDER Smooth

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.