South Hedland South Hedland
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||28 Nov 2007||Category 4||
South Hedland is of historical significance as a purpose designed and constructed town concept in Port Hedland.
With the influx of population resulting from the iron ore boom in the early 1960s, the original town of Port Hedland quickly spread along from Cooke Point to Pretty Pool, and space was at a premium. In 1968 a decision was made to create a new town, south of the causeway, designed to accommodate 30,000 people. Undertaken as a joint project between The Department of Land Administration and Homeswest, the design was initially based on a quasi-Radburn concept, with four circular residential cells, including cluster housing, built around a central commercial centre, like flower petals. Over the following years the land was resumed and developed, and the first cell was completed in 1974, including extensive landscaping. Following this the Radburn concept was abandoned.
|Name||Association Type||Date From||Date To|
|The Department of Land Administration||Builder||1974||-|
|The Department of Land Administration||Architect||1974||-|
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|"Town of Port Hedland Cultural and Heritage trail."||Town of Port Hedland/Port Hedland Historical Society||1997|
|A Bloeman & T Parker; "Hedland Voices: a visual and oral record celebrating the first hundred years of the Town of Port Hedland 1896-1996".||Town of Port Hedland/Port Hedland Historical Society||1997|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.