inHerit Logo

Bangemall Wayside Hotel (fmr), Cobra Station

Author

Shire of Upper Gascoyne

Place Number

04129
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cobra-Mt Augustus Rd Bangemall via Gascoyne Junction

Location Details

160 k NE of Gascoyne Junction

Other Name(s)

Cobra Station Homestead (fmr)
Euranna Hotel

Local Government

Upper Gascoyne

Region

Gascoyne

Construction Date

Constructed from 1897

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Oct 1999 Category 2

Category 2

SIGNIFICANT TO THE HERITAGE OF THE SHIRE. High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Prepare a floor plan and photographically record the place prior to any redevelopment.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Oct 1999 Category 2

Category 2

SIGNIFICANT TO THE HERITAGE OF THE SHIRE. High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Prepare a floor plan and photographically record the place prior to any redevelopment.

Classified by the National Trust Recorded 08 Jun 1982

Heritage Council
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Nominated 18 Mar 1983

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The former Bangemall Hotel has high historic significance as one of the few surviving
examples of the wayside hotels which used to be scattered throughout the north west. It has
further historic significance for its association with, the Bangemall goldfield area and Percy St
Ayliffe. The Hotel was an important centre in this isolated area for pioneer pastoralists, gold
miners, drovers and camel teamsters. Although the building has been subjectedto some
modification, there remains considerable evidence of the original adobe building and stone
kitchenb. The aesthetic significance of the place is enhanced by its attractive location amongst
established gardens near a creek.

Physical Description

The former Bangemall Hotel is a simple building with adobe walls and a hipped corrugated iron roof. The roof extends to cover the verandah which is supported on bush timber posts. The building originally consisted of four rooms with a central corridor. There is a stone kitchen to the rear south-east corner with a hipped corrugated iron roof and an office to the south west corner of the building. The building has timber framed casement windows and is set amongst established gardens. The grave of Mr John Ashley Cooper, the Mining Registrar, who died in February 1898, is located to the north of the former hotel.

History

The Bangemall goldfields were first discovered by prospector Jack Horrigan in 1894. Word seen
spread of the gold finds, attracting other diggers to the field which was located in a belt of
auriferous country running east and west about 8 miles long by 2 miles wide between the
Centipede Range and Mts. Phillips and Samuel. With more and more diggers arriving in the area
and leases being pegged out, a warden's court was established in 1897. Capitaiising on the
growth in population of the area, a hotel and store were established at Bangemall. it is unclear as
to when exactly the Bangemall Hotel. which until 1927 was known as the Euranni Hotel, was
built. It is believed that the hotel was built in c1897 by Percy St Barbe Ayiiffe, a prospector
whose name is included on a 1905 application to renew a Wayside House Licence for the
Euranni Wayside Hotel. The application further states that Ayiiffe had already held the wayside
licence for the premise for 7 years. Percy St Barbe Ayiiffe first went to the Bangemall goldfields
in 1895. In 1903, in partnership with Mr Alf Oakley, he pioneered Mt Phillip Station, and three
years later in 1906 had a general store at Gascoyne Junction. In 1913 the Hotel -was owned by
Greg Glass, who was followed by Joseph Senior O'Connor and then six months later by Charles
Cornish. Due to Licensing Board requirements Cornish had accommodation built for guests
consisting of a corrugated iron building immediately to the west of the hotel, it -was Charles
Comish who on 12 January 1927 changed the name from Euranni Wayside House to Bangemail
Hotel. Subsequent licensees of the hotel include George William Frederick Mead. Joseph Reid.
Joseph King, George Bruce Gaskin and Bill and Tena Stidworthy from 1934. The effects of the
Second World War resulted in the Stidworthy's selling the Hotel to Francis William LeNephew.
who died of pneumonia shortly after. The lease changed hands for the last time when Albert
Constantina Sorrensen took over. When the hotel lease came up for renewal in 1940. Sorrensen
did not apply for a renewal. When Ben Wilson bought the Cobra lease in 1948 he also purchased
the Bangemall Hotel -which he used as his homestead: the original homestead being used as the
shearers' quarters. -'Place No. 12' in 1967 the lease passed into the hands of Bob and Maxine
Bozanich and then, in 1979 John and Jill Gerney bought the lease. in 1980 a syndicate CT* Perth
cusmessmen headed by Peter Eaten bought the lease with the aim of securing the licence back
for the Bangemall Hotel and establishing a tourist centre. The current owners. Dennis and Alexa
Lang, purchased the property in 1989. (McDonald. R., 'Winning the Gascoyne'. Hesperian
Press. Perth. 1991. cc.75-35 1 McDonaic. P., "Geld in -he Gascoyne" Hesperian Press. Per

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
McDonald, R; "Winning the Gascoyne". p.76-85 Hesperian Press, Carlisle, WA. 1991

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9595 The Department of Environment and Conservation's management of former pastoral leases. Electronic 2010

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall EARTH Adobe {Mud Brick}
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment
PEOPLE Early settlers

Creation Date

03 Aug 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.