inHerit Logo

Former Union Bank of Australia, 86 High Street

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

00924
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

86 High St Fremantle

Location Details

Other Name(s)

ANZ Bank Building, formerly No 84

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1930

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 14 Oct 2000

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Mar 1978

Heritage Council
Statewide Bank Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 28 Oct 1974

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

Statement of Significance

The place represents the continuing importance of the Old Port City in commerce and trade in the Inter-War period. A fine example of a substantially intact commercial building in the Inter-War Free Classical style. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

Physical Description

Two storey rendered brick with ashlar effect and breakfront (centre of building recessed) façade with a zero setback from the pavement. There is a plain parapet and highly decorative pilasters aside stucco architrave windows on the first floor. The ground floor has three windows with decorative transom lights and there are two entrances; a central entrance with prominent stucco surround, and an entrance with French doors on the right side, both have transom lights. Restoration during 2008 included; external painting, internal adaptation/fit out to the ground floor and first floor; reconstruction of side elevation windows according to archival plans, reconstruction of western side timber paneling to match original.

History

High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.

Union Bank of Australia (fmr) at 86 High Street (formerly known as 84 High Street) was designed by Hobbs, Smith and Forbes and built between the wars for the Union Bank of Australia Ltd. by R. V. Ritchie. The building replaced four earlier shops on the site.

Between 1952 and 1956 ownership/occupancy passed to the Australia and New Zealand Bank Ltd. Changes were made to the property in 1960 and 1969. The bank continued to use part of the building until 1990 when it relocated.

On 28/11/1990 the property was offered for sale at auction but was not sold until mid-1991. On 28/11/1991 the building opened as a market where handmade glassware, ceramics, toys and wooden goods were sold. The markets closed in July 1992.

In June 1996 plans came before Council to develop a restaurant and offices in the building. The place was vacant from at least 2002 until 2008 when the place changed ownership.

Restoration and adaptation and fit out were undertaken and the owners/architects (Gentra) received a Heritage Award for Conservation of a Heritage Place.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Bank
Present Use COMMERCIAL Bank
Other Use COMMERCIAL Shopping Complex

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.