11 Brook St Gingin
Constructed from 1849
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Oct 2005||
Site of the home of early settlers.
Standing on a stone platform, the house had Casuarina stone walls. Palms, a large Olive tree and some English trees are all that remain of the garden.
The house was situated on the south side of the Gingin Brook. Joshua and Emma Edwards built a home there. Their eldest daughter was bom in 1849 and another eight daughters and a son (Reuben) were born later. The house faced north across Gingin Brook. Joshua died suddenly on 26th October 1866. Emma remarried James Anderson on 27th October in 1868. She placed the property into the hands of trustees until their only son, Reuben, turned 21. The property was heavily mortgaged and much of it was lost. The roof of the house was removed by John Musk and in c 1915 the house burnt down. A large olive tree remains.
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|H Udell: "History of Gingin".|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.