inHerit Logo

Ailsa Craige

Author

City of Albany

Place Number

15440
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

120 Brunswick Rd Albany

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Lawley House

Local Government

Albany

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Category B

• Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Physical Description

Prominent location - high streetscape value
High integrity - few modifications
Stone foundations
Cement steps lead up to front entrance
Rendered brick facade
Prominent projecting wing
Gable over projecting bay window with three panels
Decorative timber barge board and finial on gable
Distinctive coloured glass incorporated in building (owner information)
Verandah under separate roof across part of front elevation
Decorative timber balustrading and fringe on verandah
Two chimneys with moulded capping

History

Thomas Wilkinson-Howe, who arrived on the ship "Dudbrook" in 1853, originally owned the land on which this house was built. He became sole proprietor of the property in 1883. The following year, part of the title was
transferred to John Robinson, who was a prominent Albany businessman at that time. In 1891 he sold Lot 160 to
Samuel Haynes, a prominent Albany lawyer, who held it until 1903. The next owner was Annie Challend, who
commissioned William Mawson, an Albany Master Builder, to build a residence in 1903. Annie Challend lived there
until 1920 and after Annie's death in 1924; her son Walter became the new proprietor until 1937. Available records
show that the Clapp family owned the property until 1959.
It is thought that this house was considered an "Establishment" house, ie. part of the banking-maritime-cultural
circle. Research indicates that it was used as a venue for musical soirees and choral society events.
An early photograph of the house, from the collection of WE Mawson, Master Builder, shows it was originally face brick, with the stucco being added at a later date. The timber valance was once across the whole verandah. Almost all other features remain intact, including some original glass in the bay windows. Some red glass in the internal hall door has been identified as French flash glass made only between 1880 and 1890. Unsympathetic extensions to the rear were replaced by the present owners in 1994-95 with one more in keeping with the ace and character of the home, while incorporating some of today's comforts.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Modifications: Replacement timber balustrading and Paintwork

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage Database City of Albany 1995
L Johnson; "Town of Albany Heritage Survey". 1994
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

10 Mar 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.