12-14 Norfolk St Fremantle
Constructed in 1870
|Register of the National Estate||Registered||21 Oct 1980||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||14 Oct 2000||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||06 Oct 1980||
|Register of the National Estate||Nominated||26 May 1980||
Duplex 12-14 Norfolk Street has aesthetic and historic significance as a remnant of pre gold boom residential development in Fremantle. The building is not highly intact and recent fabric is not significant. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
Duplex 12-14 Norfolk Street is a single storey rendered and zincalume hipped roof duplex set below the pavement level. The roof has three chimneys and a dropped zincalume verandah supported by chamfered timber posts and timber brackets. The main entrance has French doors; another has a timber four-paneled door, the windows are six over six paned timber sash windows. There is a later added steel and clear roof sheet pergola at the front of the building and a timber balustrade to front boundary line.
Norfolk Street is named after the English county, as per Essex and Suffolk Streets.
Duplex 12-14 Norfolk Street: This duplex was formerly 36/38 Norfolk Street. The direction of the numbering also changed thus, 12 was 38 and 14 was 36 Norfolk Street. These numbering changes occurred in 1935/36.
This duplex was constructed prior to 1880 as it is evident in the rates books for this year. The records are not available prior to this date. It is also difficult to distinguish the exact date of construction as the rates books do not distinguish the individual houses on the lots. This landholding contained several buildings. Other sources state the building was constructed in the 1860s.
The landholders in the 1850s are listed as Wellard and Pengilly. By 1870 the land was owned by Henry Manning and later in that decade by L. A. Manning and J. Doonan. In the 1880s the land was owned by L. A. Manning and William Owston and a dwelling house is recorded on the site. Manning and Owston or their descendants owned the property until at least 1901/02.
From 1906/07 to at least 1915/16 the duplex was owned by Sarah Wilson and leased out to various tenants.
The 1908 sewerage plan of this site shows this brick duplex with verandahs across the full width of the front and rear of the building. A small verandah is also located on the eastern side. A brick building is evident in the back yard close to the duplex. A timber stables is located on the back property boundary as is brick closet and a small brick structure. Across the front to the building is a stone wall which encloses the full width of the building on the property boundary. A stone wall is also evident on the western boundary of the lot.
From 1920/21 to 1972/73, the duplex was owned by Francisco Camaldo and his descendants. Camaldo and his family lived in 14 Norfolk Street until the 1970s and leased out the other property.
In 1957 it is recorded that 9 adults and 1 child occupied 14 Norfolk Street
In 1964, an iron shed which had been present on the property was removed.
This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Purple: "Of architectural and historic significance in its own right.”)
A photograph of the building in 1978 shows that the building was in a relatively poor condition. The roof was deteriorated and some of the windows and doors were missing. Renovations of the building commenced in 1978. This included the addition of a bathroom at the back of the building. During restoration it was noted that the original roof was shingles.
In the early 1980s the property was owned by Anthony and Susan Rutherford.
In 1986, an application was received by the City of Fremantle to establish a tea rooms at the property.
Photographs taken in the late 1980s show that the duplex had been extensively renovated including a new roof, render of the stonework and new timber verandah and accompanying woodwork. A new timber fence was constructed on the front boundary with a diagonal design.
1985/86 Development Approval to convert house into tearooms.
2002 - Sala Thai restaurant.
2007 - Asian Grill House restaurant
Medium degree of integrity (original intent partially clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining but with some alterations.
(These statements based on street survey only).
Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Terrace housing|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Conjoined residence|
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Settlements|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.