inHerit Logo

Noreena Downs Station

Author

Shire of East Pilbara

Place Number

14224
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

37km from Nullagine

Location Details

in the direction of Newman

Local Government

East Pilbara

Region

Pilbara

Construction Date

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1999

Statement of Significance

Noreena Downs has historic significance as an example of an early pastoral station which reflects the evolution of pastoralism from the early days of running mainly cattle to an era when sheep were paramount.
In more recent times some Pilbara pastoralists have cut back on sheep, and boosted cattle numbers again.

Physical Description

Noreena Downs Homestead comprises a number of different buildings, of different styles and constructed of different materials. Photographic evidence suggests a main house, and two other simple rectangular buildings with pitched roofs, and verandahs across the front elevation, supported by timber posts. Another structure appears to be cement or rammed earth with a timber frame, open sides and a hipped corrugated iron roof. A large cormgated iron shearing shed is also located on the block.

History

This property of 800.000 acres lies south east of Nullagine. Noreena Downs Station was originally taken up by A W Townsend. Of immense area and on the edge of the desert, it was initially used chiefly as a cattle station. It passed into the hands of Jermyn Haynes and Co and then in 1911 it was purchased by Hardie, Walker. McLarty and Haynes. George Hardie was well known in the early Pilbara - he was a businessman, teamster, and pastoralist on the properties Warralong and Etlrick. R Campbell McLarty had been postmaster at Nullagine for 12 years from around 1896. The syndicate introduced sheep to the property and by 1914 had a flock of 7.000 sheep and 3.000 cattle.
By the 1930s Noreena Downs was said to be a million acre sheep station running about 30,000 sheep. At that time it was owned by Hardie and Middleditch.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Information from Colleen Kitchin

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

01 Oct 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.