inHerit Logo

HOUSE, 28 BAYLY STREET

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

20213
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

28 Bayly St North Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1913, Constructed from 1897

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Statement of Significance

House, 28 Bayly Street, is a typical weatherboard and iron single storey cottage dating from the 1890s. The place had aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. Its streetscape no longer exists as all surrounding residential buildings have been demolished. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of North Fremantle. It is historically significant as a representation of typical workers' houses in the North Fremantle area. The place is a simple example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The place has significance for its location and rarity value as being the only remaining residential place in this area of North Fremantle. It was one of the many workers' cottages built as North Fremantle expanded and industrial employment and work on the wharves became available. Most of these small buildings have disappeared. The fact that this is the last house remaining in the street points to the demographic change that has since overtaken this part of the City. Its owner/occupant has resisted all attempts to remove her and remains in her house.

Physical Description

House, 28 Bayly Street, is a single storey weatherboard and iron cottage with an asymmetrical facade designed as a very simple example of the Federation Queen Anne style. Walls are timber framed clad with weatherboards. Roof is hipped corrugated iron with no eaves. Verandah is under a separate corrugated iron roof, supported by square timber posts with a simple timber valance. Front elevation is asymmetrical with a protruding section with a single timber sash window and a recessed section with window and front door. The verandah in front of the recessed section of the cottage. There is a timber and iron window hood over the front room window, and timber sash windows with sidelights to both front windows. Original rendered corbelled chimney is intact. There is a timber skillion addition to the rear, and a further fibro skillion addition. There is remnants of a former brick front fence. The house is the only remaining house in the area. It is surrounded by Port development and container storage areas.

History

Bayley Street was subdivided c. 1898 as a residential area for people working in the vicinity, but the land was not taken up until the 1910s and 1920s (slightly later than the subdivisions closer to Fremantle and the railway line). The area had a mix of residential and industrial uses during the 1940s, but it was the 1960s port expansion that significantly changed the area. The area was rezoned for port use in 1963 and most homes were purchased and then demolished by the Port Authority to create a solely industrial strip adjacent to Port Beach. Major realignment of the access roads to the beach and the railway line had a significant impact on the original layout of the area. Now located within the landholdings of the Port of Fremantle, the alignment of Bayley Street is a remnant of the original residential settlement of the present day (2004) industrial area.
The weatherboard and iron cottage at 28 Bayley Street was built between 1897 and 1913 for an unidentified owner. The land had previously (in 1895) been part of a larger landholding, owned by James Graves and by prominent Western Australian, Alexander Forrest, for unrecorded purposes. The land was subdivided for settlement c. 1898.
In 1924, a tenant occupied the five-roomed weatherboard house owned by Mary J. Henly. Between 1926 and 1935, the occupant was James Shelton. Records are not available for the period between 1935 and 1955. When records recommence in 1955, the owner and occupier was Cyril Edwards. In the same year the property was transferred to James and Eileen Mullally although other sources state it was transferred in 1958. Eileen Mullally continues to own and occupy the property in 2004.
In 1940, the house had a front verandah and a weatherboard laundry, a shed in the back yard and an earth closet. Surrounding the cottage were many other homes of similar type, as well as a soap factory to the rear and south of the property. The property was not connected to mains sewerage and it was noted that it had a septic tank in 1954. In 1993, the front façade of the house was unmodified.
This house is prominent as the only house remaining in the street. Demolition of the houses began in approximately 1967 after the rezoning of the area in 1963. Eileen Mullally has consistently refused all offers to move from her house and has vigorously campaigned against the Fremantle Port Authority by painting slogans on her house. These slogans and its isolation within the industrial strip make the house a landmark.
This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle.

Integrity/Authenticity

Moderate to degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, low long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as fair to poor (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use OTHER Other

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Local heroes & battlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

22 Mar 2019

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.