6 High St Fremantle
Constructed from 1899
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||21 Oct 1980||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||28 Oct 1974||
|Statewide Hotel Survey||Completed||01 Nov 1997||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||14 Oct 2000||Level 1B||
|RHP - To be assessed||Current||24 Apr 2003||
The place is historically significant as hotel representing the development of Fremantle’s Old Port City from the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a federation period commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is a significant landmark in the Old Port City of Fremantle. The Fremantle Hotel is significant for its architecture and construction methods; use pf brick with stone facing. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
A three storey stone and rendered masonry hotel, with the name 'Hotel Fremantle' in stucco relief across the truncated corner. On the truncation above, there is a concave metal-shingled portion (probably remains of a turret) that adjoins the low parapet wall with three small decorative pediments. There are five pairs of glazed doorways, with the main entrance on the south side featuring hotel name in frosted glass (probably not original). The ground floor and second floor windows are timber double hung sash and the first floor feature arched double hung sash with four columns on the west side.
High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.
In 1885 a new house was built on the site replacing an earlier house and shop for Mr W. D. Moore. The house remained his property until it was sold to Mr W. de Lacy Bacon in 1897. The hotel was built in 1899, designed by Wilkinson & Smith. The hotel was purchased by E. S. Barker and A. McNeil in 1902-03. This was a three storey residential hotel with stables, rooms, bar, billiard rooms, sitting rooms, cellars etc. Part of the Moore house was incorporated into the hotel, serving as its kitchen wing. The hotel is reported to have been set up as a hospital and operating theatres during WWII.
In 2002 it was Hotel Fremantle. It was subsequently purchased by Notre Dame University, and is no longer a hotel open to the public. Archaeological investigations were undertaken during approx. 2006 and the building was painted externally.
|Library Id||Title||Medium||Year Of Publication|
|7467||Fremantle : beyond the Round House.||Book||2005|
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Original Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Federation Free Classical|
|OCCUPATIONS||Hospitality industry & tourism|
|OCCUPATIONS||Commercial & service industries|
|SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES||Sport, recreation & entertainment|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.