inHerit Logo

House

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

07070
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

10 Britannia St Katanning

Location Details

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1909

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 3

Category 3

• Significant as an individual building within the Shire

Statement of Significance

The building is significant historically because of its association with the Gulleys, who were a prominent Katanning farming family. It is architecturally important as a typical example of a workers cottage for the time and socially it represents the working class, which had developed in Katanning.

Physical Description

A single storey brick and corrugated iron dwelling of symmetrical plan, with a bull nose verandah. It has a central front door with flanking double hung sashes. A portion of the northwest wall has been rendered and painted and several asbestos additions have been carried out.
The garden has a replacement timber fence with lawns, a loquat tree and other native exotic trees.

History

In 1907 owner of the land where the residence now stands was Hercules William Kellock. In 1909 Kellock took a mortgage of £175 to Alexander Thomson, the well-known builder/contractor in Katanning, so it is believed that Thomson was the builder of this residence.
In about 1912 the property then transferred to Richard John Gulley, who purchased the property for £500. Gulley was a successful farmer in the Katanning district and with his increase in holdings came an increase in his style of living. Gulley died in 1922 and left the property to his wife Ada, although it is not certain if his wife actually lived in the house.
In 1947 Earnest Arthur Daniels, who was an employee of the Roads Board, purchased the house. Since 1980 the property has been in the Strickland name.

Condition

Fair

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
National Trust Assessment Form

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

27 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.