10-12 Wray Av Fremantle
Pair of Two-Storey Terrace Houses
Constructed from 1897
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007||City of Fremantle (draft copy)|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 2||
|Register of the National Estate||Indicative Place||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||01 Aug 1983||
|Register of the National Estate||Nominated||14 Dec 1982||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 2||
|City of Fremantle (draft copy)|
Duplex, 10 – 12 Wray Avenue, a two storey stone and iron residences constructed by 1897 in the Victorian Georgian style of Architecture, is of heritage significance for the following reasons;
the place is of historic significance as a fine example of an attached pair representing the expansion of Fremantle in the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and;.
the place is of aesthetic significance because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of late nineteenth century building with elaborate stucco detailing which contributes to this very significant section of Wray Avenue;
the place is of social significance as it contributes to the community’s sense of place as evidenced by its Classification by the National Trust and inclusion on the Fremantle’s Society list.
Wray Avenue extends from South Terrace through to Solomon Street.
Duplex, 10 - 12 Wray Avenue is located on the northern side of Wray Ave between South Terrace and Brennan Street. The streetscape within the vicinity of the subject property comprises of a highly intact group of commercial places built in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century which are of heritage significance.
Duplex, 10 – 12 Wray Avenue (1896) is a double storey, stone, brick and iron commercial duplex with a symmetrical facade designed as an example of the Victorian Georgian style of architecture. The walls are limestone with brick quoins to the façade with a decorative rendered masonry parapet wall with central gable form. The double storey timber verandah has a separate corrugated iron skillion roof and is supported by chamfered timber posts and a simple timber balustrade.
There are additions at the rear that are clad with zincalume and have a separate entrance.
Wray Avenue was originally Hampton Street. The named was changed to avoid confusion with the intersecting Hampton Road. It became Alexander Road, after Laurence Alexander, Mayor 1901-1902, and a representative of Falk & Co. The street name was again changed to avoid confusion with Alexandra Road in East Fremantle, and became Wray Avenue in 1923. It was named for William E Wray, at one time with the Education Dept as Truant Inspector, and a resident of the street. He was on the Fremantle Tramways Board and Mayor of Fremantle, 1914-1918.
This building was constructed as a dwelling of 10 rooms and a shop for Joseph Scherer, a furniture manufacturer. The first occupants of 10/12 were two grocers Lanritz Jorgensen and George Barling and his family. No 10 was used as a grocery shop, its cellar used for storage, until at least 1928, the predecessor of the Galati family’s local shops. The longest use of the shop was for Faye Wray, a clothing boutique from the 1950s to 1996.
Later owners included; Richard Henry Pilmer; Amy Marks; Frederick G Fletcher; William Frederick Samson; Rosario Scata; and Leone Diane Wade.
The 1908 sewerage plan of the site shows this brick duplex. An extensive galvanised iron addition was located to the rear of 12 Wray Avenue and 10 Wray Avenue. 10 Wray avenue was a slightly larger building and a cellar was evident under this property. Two brick closets were located in the rear of the lot.
This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Purple: "Of architectural and historic significance in its own right.”) It was Classified by the National Trust in 1979 and included on the Register of the National Estate in 1986.
The place has undergone extensive renovations and additions including removing the render from the front façade and reinstating the verandah. The project was used as a showcase for the implementation of the ‘Burra Charter’ for the benefit of owners and local government.
High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).
Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Terrace housing|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Terrace housing|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Conjoined residence|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Settlements|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Land allocation & subdivision|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.