inHerit Logo

Allandale Homestead

Author

City of Mandurah

Place Number

03077
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

495 Estuary Rd Dawesville

Location Details

Lot 102 on Plan 10569

Other Name(s)

Dawes House

Local Government

Mandurah

Region

Peel

Construction Date

Constructed from 1913 to 1918

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Registered 02 Sep 1997 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Aboriginal Heritage Sites Register Recorded

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 May 2014 Category 1

Category 1

National or State significance The highest level of protection is appropriate including referral for entry on to the appropriate national and/or state registers, and the provision of maximum encouragement to the owner/s to conserve the significance of the place. The place should be photographically recorded and a conservation plan be prepared.

Statement of Significance

• Has a landmark quality within the local environment because of its prominent location on an elevated site.
• Has a close association with the development of the fishing and fish canning industries in the Mandurah region.
• Associated with the Dawe family, one of the first families to settle in the area.
• Contributes to the community's sense of place by demonstrating evidence of the once thriving commercial fishing industry in the region.
• It is rare and has survived relatively unchanged since construction through the continuous ownership and occupation by one family for most of the twentieth century.

Physical Description

A single-storey stone and timber dwelling with a corrugated iron roof and an adjacent water tower and stone cellar. The property overlooks the Peel Harvey Estuary. It has six rooms, interior floors of jarrah and a front jarrah gable. A cement floor veranda surrounds the whole building. A 2.5 metre deep limestone buttery is located on the southern side of the house.

History

Louis Dawe was a South Australian tinsmith who came to Mandurah to become involved in the fish canning industry. He was employed in the Tuckey Brothers’ Peel Inlet Preserving Works and later settled and began canning fish at Pleasant Grove. He took over a building used as a fish cannery by the Leighton brothers, who had both tragically drowned. The cannery was a simple lean-to adjacent to the original homestead with a smokehouse constructed of wattle and daub. Dawe built a weatherboard school on the Ward’s property at Pleasant Grove in 1907 for the 15 or so children in the area. Mrs Edith Tuckey rode out there daily from Mandurah to teach the pupils.
In 1913 Dawe left Pleasant Grove to build Allandale at what is now called ‘Dawesville’, approximately 10 miles south of Mandurah. The homestead was built from local limestone. Here Dawe established a second fish cannery in a factory built from weatherboard and corrugated iron, and also kept bee hives for honey. A jetty was also constructed into the estuary. The cannery was destroyed by Cyclone Alby and the jetty has been demolished. Commercial fish canning ceased at Allandale in 1930 when it became more lucrative to send the fish fresh to Perth.
Louis Dawe’s son, Allan, remained at Allandale for some 70 years. The property was sold in 1996 and is currently being restored.

Integrity/Authenticity

Authenticity : High

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Jill Burgess "Mandurah: Water Under the Bridge" Town of Mandurah 1988

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Architectural Styles

Style
Vernacular

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

19 Jun 1991

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

08 Jan 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.