inHerit Logo

London Hotel


City of Albany

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


160-162 Stirling Tce Albany

Location Details

Local Government



Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1909 to 1912

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 27 Oct 2020

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Category B

• Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Local Heritage Survey Adopted 27 Oct 2020 Considerable


Very important to the heritage of the locality.

Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 04 Apr 1977

Heritage Council

Parent Place or Precinct

14922 Stirling Terrace Precinct, Albany

Statement of Significance

Stirling Terrace Precinct:
Stirling Terrace Precinct, a predominantly late Victorian and Federation period townscape set along a segmented crescent plan overlooking Princess Royal Harbour, Albany and containing a diverse range of building types and styles, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
the historic precinct is a fine and relatively intact example of a late nineteenth century and early twentieth century townscape, dating primarily from 1867 to 1915, demonstrating a range of activities and support infrastructure associated with the foundation and development of a prominent nineteenth century town;
the historic precinct is rare as a prominently located townscape with a town plan dating from the foundation of the settlement with a set of finely designed Victorian and Federation period buildings;
as the original commercial heart of the town, the historic precinct was an important part of the development of the region and the State to varying degrees from the 1830s until World War One when Albany was a prominent town in the Colony and Australia, due to its role as the Colony’s coal depot for the international mail and passenger service, which linked Europe to the eastern colonies. This role was expanded with the addition of regional railways and interstate telegraph links;
viewed from the harbour and from the western approaches to the town, the historic precinct as a whole is a landmark, strengthened by the strong vertical accents of the Royal George Hotel and the former Post Office;
the historic precinct is highly valued by the local community for its aesthetic values and historic associations and, along with the defining topography of the Princess Royal Harbour, Mount Melville and Mount Clarence, is as one of the elements that contributes to the local community’s sense of place and to the identity of Albany;
within the precinct, G.T. Poole’s designs for the Post Office and Court House demonstrate creative excellence and J.T. Hobbs’ design for the Sandover & Co store, which later became Drew Robinson & Co.’s store, at 108-110 Stirling Terrace makes innovative use of large plate glass windows;
the historic precinct includes buildings designed by prominent architects James Manning, Lt. General Sir J. T. Hobbs, J. Herbert Eales, and George T. Poole, and was historically the location of businesses founded and run by significant Albany and regional identities including Thomas Sherratt, Alexander Moir, John Robinson, Charles Drew, Frank Dymes, Edward Barnett, J.F.T. Hassell, and E.G. Everett.

Physical Description

Some of the notable features of this place include:
• Prominent façade on Stirling terrace along with a group of other commercial buildings
• Typical features of Federation Free Classical architectural design
• Symmetrical façade
• Formal grouping of arched windows
• Smooth rendered finish to brick walls with lower storey featuring an ashlar finish
• Prominent parapet wall concealing roof and decorative skyline features with two gabled pediments with classical motifs
• Tall chimneys rising at the rear of the building
• Corner entry
• Jarrah staircase in entry foyer

Some obvious modifications include:
• Cantilevered canopy over main entry
• Removal of original verandah
• External colour scheme

Refer also to: Considine & Griffiths Architects in association with Kris Bizzaca, Stirling Terrace, Albany, Conservation Plan, October 2000.


London Hotel
The London Hotel holds one of the oldest licences in Albany. The present hotel was built in 1910 by contractor Alex Thompson. Mr H.C. Sims was proprietor of the hotel at that time.
The London Hotel building was constructed on the site of the former Chusan Hotel, which was a pre-fabricated timber building constructed by John McDonnell who acquired former Lot 35 in the 1850s. McDonnell had brought the building with him from Singapore. The hotel was renamed the London Hotel c1861. The building caused concerns as it was against local building regulations to erect a wooden building over 20ft tall in Albany. A concession was granted on condition the bottom half of the building was bricked. At about the same time the P&O steamer service ceased and the owner could not afford to brick the building. On top of family tragedies, including the death of his son James, by 1863 McDonnell had given up the hotel and left Albany. The property was bought by John McKail & Co but it was put on the market in 1864. The advertisement described the hotel as: ‘Containing four large sitting rooms, eight bed rooms, detached kitchen, stable, and about half-an-acre of garden ground, well stocked with vines and fruit trees’. (Perth Gazette 15/01/1864 p. 1) When McKail died in 1871 his estate fell to his sons John Frederick and Nathanial William McKail.
In March 1909 plans for the new London Hotel building submitted to Council by Mr Haynes were approved. The old iron, timber, doors, frames and sashes from the old hotel were sold off by the building contractor Alex Thompson. Construction of the London Hotel was completed in late 1909 ready for the summer season. The new hotel was designed to keep accommodation separate from bar trade. The spacious entry featured a hand carved and moulded jarrah staircase, and the hotel comprised a lounge room, dining room, billiard room, ladies’ drawing room and gentlemen’s smoking room. The rooms were generous and featured separate hot and cold baths. The hotel also offered the services of a porter to meet guests at the train station. It was a popular venue for meetings and functions particularly with the local sporting clubs and regarded as the best residential houses in the Great Southern region at least for the first few decades after it was built. The building contractor Alex Thomson lived in Katanning from 1905 where he built the Town Hall and the Katanning Hotel. He also became chairman of the Katanning Road Board before entering State Parliament in which he represented the electorate for 35 years.
The licensee in December 1909 was H C (Harrry) Sims, who was also Mayor of Albany from 1908-1912 and before that Secretary of the Esperance Road Board. In 1919, Sims disposed of the business and it was transferred to Charles Farbar Brown and a few years later to Mr W. A. Shurer (who would later purchase the Premier Hotel). In 1930 the hotel was bought by local resident J F Cowen for approx. £7000 when it was auctioned by the trustees of the McKail estate.
The London Hotel changed hands many times over the decades and during the Federation period the façade was changed quite radically. The ornate double storey timber verandah was removed, leaving the hotel with the façade still seen today. The curved entry awning was added c1960. In 2010, the main bar was named “Liberte”. In 2019 it is still operating as a hotel and accommodation for backpackers.

Stirling Terrace Precinct
Stirling Terrace is one of the City of Albany’s most significant heritage assets, both as a streetscape and as a collection of Victorian and Federation period buildings overlooking Princess Royal Harbour. Stirling Terrace is located in visually striking topography and its segmented crescent plan form remains basically as it was when first recorded by Surveyor Hillman in 1835. The mature trees and the harmonious architectural composition of diverse building types and styles provide additional visual interest.
Stirling Terrace was developed from the 1830s following the establishment of Albany as part of the Swan River colony, and was an important part of the development of the region and the State to varying degrees from the 1830s until World War One. The 1835 Hillman survey plan set the scene for the emergence of Stirling Terrace as the prime location in the town, with a rich variety of social, commercial, leisure, institutional and service functions. The majority of the built fabric which remains today was completed in the period 1867 to 1915. The buildings were designed by some of the State’s most eminent architects and many were built for prominent citizens and institutions.
Over the years the commercial focus of Albany has moved to York Street, with many institutions, such as banks and the post office relocating there. Free of substantial development pressure at a critical time, Stirling Terrace has managed to retain many of its historic structures and features. Viewed from the harbour, and from the western approach to the town, Stirling Terrace has a landmark quality as a whole.
Refer also to: Considine & Griffiths Architects in association with Kris Bizzaca, Stirling Terrace, Albany, Conservation Plan, October 2000.


Integrity: High
Authenticity: Moderate




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999
K Bizzaca; "Stirling Terrace, Albany, Draft Conservation Plan". Considine & Griffiths Architects 2000
R Apperly, R Irving & P Reynolds; "A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture". Angus and Robertson 1989
L Johnson; "Town of Albany Heritage Survey". City of Albany 1994

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
5038 Stirling Terrace, Albany : conservation plan. March 2001. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2001
7665 Design parameters for Stirling Terrace heritage areas. Heritage Study {Other} 2000

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall RENDER Smooth
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

20 Mar 1993

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

27 May 2022


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.