inHerit Logo

Pioneer Cemetery

Author

City of Greater Geraldton

Place Number

05102
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Mullewa-Carnarvon Rd Mullewa

Location Details

Mullewa-Carnarvon Road (previously North Road)

Local Government

Greater Geraldton

Region

Midwest

Construction Date

Constructed from 1895

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 30 Nov 2018

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 24 Jun 2014 Category 2

Category 2

CONSIDERABLE SIGNIFICANCE: Very important to the heritage of the locality.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jul 1996

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Pioneer Cemetery has considerable local historic value as an important burial place in the district which was in use for nearly 60 years. The place is typical of small country cemeteries of this era. The cemetery has further historic significance for its association to Monsignor John Hawes, via the design of the small tomb for Selby Arnold.

Physical Description

Located approximately 2 kilometres to the north of Mullewa on the west side of the Mullewa-Camarvon Road, the Pioneer Cemetery consists of a large block of land surrounded by a perimeter fence. Accessed via a simple gravel track which loops around the western end of the cemetery, there are a range of different grave types including marble headstones - both simple and ornate, simple crosses, decorative iron grave surrounds as well as adapted metal cots, masonry grave plots as well as a small concrete tomb. There are also a number of raised earthen mounds indicating unmarked graves.

History

In the first years of settlement the town of Mullewa did not have an official graveyard. Burials were carried out on the hill overlooking the railway station and it is estimated that approximately 50 graves are located in this area. During work connected with the railway extensions, many of the graves were destroyed. Due to concerns about proximity of burials to the town well, a Cemetery Board was formed and a new cemetery was opened to the north of Mullewa on the North Road - officially gazetted in May 1895. By 1920, control of the cemetery had passed to the Mullewa Road Board. The North Road Cemetery was used until the 1950s, when it was considered unsuitable and a new one was established south west of Mullewa, on the Mingenew Road.
The Pioneer Cemetery, which is included on the local heritage trail, includes the grave of Selby John Arnold, a young altar boy to Fr John Hawes who apparently died in tragic circumstances. Hawes designed and constructed the small tomb.

Integrity/Authenticity

Original Fabric: Largely intact

Condition

Good

Place Type

Other Built Type

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Cemetery
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Early settlers
PEOPLE Famous & infamous people

Creation Date

09 Dec 1996

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.