|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Oct 2005||Category 4||
An important part of the early settlement in Gingin. Many styles of house construction are evident here.
An area of high land within a bow of the Gingin Brook. Originally, a semi-permanent camp of the Aborigines When Police were stationed here, a fence across the narrowest part of the land provided a safe place for horses, hence the alternative name The Police Paddock'.'The Horseshoe' refers to the general shape of the land. During the 1860's, the police had erected some 1552 chains of two rail Mahogany (Jarrah) fencing, Jarrah posts and Red Gum rails. This could be approximately where Daw St and Edgar St now lie. The Police Paddock was not included in the original Town site but a plan of suburban lots was published in 1899. The first were three or four-acre lots all with Brook frontage, and intended for orchard, vineyards or market gardens. The remainder of The Horseshoe was divided into lots later. Sub Lot 36 of 15 acres was designated a commonage. The present day Primary School was built on it in 1964. The Horseshoe is gradually being subdivided. The first landowners had extensive orchards and market gardens irrigated from the Brook. It has been largely subdivided though gardens and orchards still exist A continuum of housing styles can be seen from mud bat of the 1800's to modern brick and tile homes.
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|H Udell: "History of Gingin".|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.