inHerit Logo

Masonic Lodge


Shire of Waroona

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


29 Parnell St Waroona

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Drakesbrook Lodge 241 (fmr)

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1949

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Nov 1995 Category 3

Category 3

Conservation Encouraged Significant as an individual building within the Municipality. Retain and conserve if possible; Endeavour to conserve the significance of the place through the provisions of the Town Planning Scheme; Photographically record the place prior to any major redevelopments or demolition. Recommendations: Incorporate in Heritage Precincts within the Town Planning Scheme.

Statement of Significance

Significant for its association to the Masonic Lodge and its members who traditionally contribute to their local community.

Physical Description

A single storey timber, asbestos and Hardiflex clad hall with gabled corrugated iron roof and gabled fron porch with access by concrete stairs. Small ventilation windows are located near to the roof of the building, which were added by the lodge members. A brick toilet block is at the rear of the hall.


In 1948/49, an asbestos and corrugated iron fruit shed was purchased by the Drakesbrook Lodge
members from Parker Brothers. The original shed measured approximately 40'x20'. The roof of the shed was removed and the shed was then transported to its current position. The site for the lodge consisted originally of two lots - one having been donated to the lodge by the McNeill family and the other purchased by the lodge. These two lots were then combined to form the one lot.
Once the shed had been transported, additions were made to the shed to accommodate lodge requirements (to include a dining room and kitchen) with the final dimensions of the lodge room (the original shed) being approx. 70'x36'. Hardiflex panelling was used in addition to concrete for the floor of the dining room and kitchen. A front porch was also added.
Drakesbrook Lodge No. 241 was dedicated on 13 December 1952 by MW Bro J. A. Ellis (Grand Master). Prior to the erection of the lodge building, lodge members met at the Drakesbrook Road Board hall.
A brick toilet block was added to the rear of the lodge in 2000.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Masonic Hall
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Shed or Barn

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, flat
Other CONCRETE Concrete Slab
Other BRICK Face Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

11 May 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.