inHerit Logo

Dennehy House (fmr)


City of South Perth

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


16 York St South Perth

Location Details

Other Name(s)

St Joseph's Convent

Local Government

South Perth



Construction Date

Constructed from 1890, Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 14 Nov 2000 Category A+

Category A+

Already recognised by the Heritage Council in the State Register of Heritage Places

Statement of Significance

Dennehy House - Saint Joseph’s Convent has aesthetic, historic, social, rarity and representative cultural heritage significance. It would have been an imposing residence in its time, which has been adapted over time to meet the needs of the Sisters of Saint Joseph. The Sisters first came to Western Australia in 1887 and have made a valuable social contribution since that time. The building is a fine representative example of a substantial Federation residence.

Physical Description

Dennehy House - Saint Joseph’s Convent is a substantial two-storey Federation building, with Filigree influences. The red brick building has a projecting wing, with a deep verandah across the rest of the building on both levels. The verandahs are supported by pairs of timber posts, adorned with timber lattice work and balustrading. Rendered, painted string coursing breaks the starkness of the red brick. The roof is tiled.


The Sisters of Saint Joseph first came to Western Australia in 1887, settling in Northampton. In January 1915, Sisters, led by Sr Padua Callinan, came to this site in South Perth. The principal building at Dennehy House - Saint Joseph’s Convent, now used as the Provincial offices, was originally known as Dennehy House. In 1914 the property was purchased by the Catholic Church for the sum of £3,000 from RJ Dennehy, an architect who specialised in religious architecture. He was also responsible for the Home of the Good Shepherd in West
Leederville, built 1898, and the Church of the Sacred Heart in Leederville, built 1905.






Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Florey, Cecil. "Peninsular City: A Social History of the City of South Perth"

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Filigree

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

07 Jan 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.