inHerit Logo

Marrinup Townsite (Ruins)


Shire of Murray

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


End of Grey Rd Marrinup

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1910

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Local Heritage Survey Adopted 26 Mar 2020 Category B

Category B

Very important to the heritage of the locality.

Statement of Significance

Marrinup Townsite (ruins) has significance as the historical site of a mill town, which were once central to the economy of the Dwellingup area.

Physical Description

Remains of mill town


In 1902 a horse-drawn tramway was constructed from Pinjarra to serve a sawmill at Marrinup. This line operated for about two years. The Western Australian Government Railways (WAGR) followed the alignment of this tramway when they constructed the line to Dwellingup which opened in 1910. Marrinup was the only community of any consequence between Pinjarra and Dwellingup. Millars operated a sizeable mill for varying periods between 1910 and 1930 on the north bank of Marrinup Brook. A number of weatherboard and corrugated iron houses were located at the townsite, along with a company general store. Some of the residences are still extant, having been relocated after the closing of the mill. After Millars erected the mill in 1910, there were soon 25 school-age children in the accompanying town. The Education Department proposed a ‘tent school’, but Millars supplied timber at cost price and a building was erected. Marrinup School was completed by May 1911, although it did not open until 12 November that year, with Mr G. Watson Brown as the first teacher. This building is now used as RSL Hall, Dwellingup. After 1930, the townsite appears to have been deserted. The site is currently managed by the Department of Biosecurity, Conservation and Attractions as a public camping ground (2019).


Site only


Site only


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Richards, Ronald 'Murray and Mandurah' Shire of Murray & City of Mandurah 1993

Place Type

Historic Town or district


Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use COMMERCIAL Other

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Timber industry

Creation Date

22 Jul 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

05 May 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.