Lot 28 20 Weld St Gingin
Constructed from 1879
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Oct 2005||Category 4||
A very large 'cypresses sempervirens' tree remains, probably planted at the same time as those in the St. Luke's Churchyard.
The Good Templars' Hall was the first public use building in Gingin. A branch of the 'Order of Good Templars', known as Cheriton Lodge 19, was formed in Gingin in 1875, largely at the instigation of Henry Brockman They built a Hall of baked clay bricks, the day obtained from a gully at the rear of the block. T.J. Jones donated land. It was formally opened in June of 1879. Corrugated iron was used for additions. The Hall was used for Roads Board meetings, dances and other social events. It served as the local Schoolroom from the mid 1880's until a new School was built in 1895. In October 1925, the Roads Board decided to demolish the Hall as the Temperance organisation was virtually disbanded and the Hall in disrepair. Some of the materials were used by Richard Masters to build a house at Dee Swamp. A house was built there for the Shire Clerk in 1967 and later purchased by Mr N.H.V. Wallace.
Site only of Hall - the tree remains.
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|H Udell: "History of Gingin".|
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||EDUCATIONAL||Primary School|
|Original Use||SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL||Other Community Hall\Centre|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.