30 Suffolk St Fremantle
Constructed from 1897
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007||City of Fremantle (draft copy)|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 2||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 2||
|City of Fremantle (draft copy)|
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||14 Dec 1983||
|Register of the National Estate||Indicative Place||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||01 Aug 1983||
House, 30 Suffolk Street, is a typical limestone, brick and iron single storey house dating from c1897. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.
30 Suffolk Street is a single storey, limestone, brick and iron house with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are limestone with brick quoins. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The facade has a front door with fanlight and a double hung sash under the verandah. There is a projecting front room. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron roof and is supported by ionic columns. There is a timber picket fence to the front boundary line.
Suffolk Street is named after the English county, as per Norfolk and Essex Streets.
This house was renumbered twice since its original construction. Originally it was 12 Suffolk Street and was changed to 28 Suffolk in 1934/35 then changed in 1960-64 to the current number, 30 Suffolk Street.
The exact date of construction of this building cannot be ascertained from the available information. The place is recorded as being in existence in 1880 when the earliest City of Fremantle rates books are available. At this time there were three cottages on the lot and it is assumed that one of these was the current cottage. In 1880, the lot was in the ownership of the estate of Gordon Drummond Ralston who died in 1878. Gordon Ralston was a master carpenter and foreman of works at the Convict Establishment. It is speculated that the quality of detailing of the façade of this cottage may be as a result of Gordon Ralston’s own work or his workplace associations. The property passed to his son Joseph in 1883. Joseph was a storekeeper and draper in the mid and late 1800s.
In 1884, the property was transferred to John Snook, a Fremantle City Councillor 1871 -1875 and 1877 – 1887. Snook tragically met his death in 1887 when a Fremantle resident, William Conroy shot him because Snook had refused him permission to enter the Town Hall for a function.
From 1896 to 1903/4, five cottages were listed on the lot. The number of cottages on the lot explains why the House at 30 Suffolk Street is located directly on the western boundary. This would have enabled the maximum number of cottages on the lot.
Subsequent owners of the cottage did not always occupy the place. Later owners and occupiers included: Rose Heberle, William Leonard Boyd, Florence Bartlett, Alexander John Forbes, George Leonard Ordner, Vincenzo De Luca, Nanziata (or Nunziata) and Vittoria Tomba, Arnold DeBoer, John Edward and Christine Wildman, Gregory Jones, Brian and Hazel Hedgley and Reinhart Wolfer.
The 1908 sewerage plan shows a rear verandah with timber enclosures at either end, one for a bathroom. Within the rear of the property two galvanised iron sheds, brick earth closet . The house is built on the western boundary leaving half of the lot free. A front fence is located across the front boundary.
A portion of the block was built on in 1929 when a brick residence was constructed on portion of the lot by the owner at the time, George Ordner. This was numbered 32 Suffolk Street.
This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Purple: "Of architectural and historic significance in its own right.”)
A 1978 photograph of the house shows that the roof was a dark corrugated iron of a dark colour. At that time it was in poor condition. A timber picket pence was located on the front boundary.
In 1981, the owners J and C Wildman submitted an application to the City of Fremantle for the construction of a new bathroom and toilet.
Photographic evidence from 1993 and 1997 when the property was for sale indicates that the cottage was in reasonable condition but no major renovations had been undertaken at this time.
High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).
Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Single storey residence|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Land allocation & subdivision|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.