inHerit Logo

Rathmines Primary School (fmr)


City of Bunbury

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Forrest St Bunbury

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Bunbury Playgroup

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1927

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 31 Jul 1996 Some Significance

Some Significance

Some Significance

Municipal Inventory Adopted 04 Sep 2001

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Rathmines Primary School is a single storey, two-roomed weatherboard former school building has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
the place is an important community facility which has been used continuously for primary and pre-primary education in the Rathmines area since 1927;
the place has landmark qualities and contributes significantly to the streetscape and the community's sense of place.

Physical Description

Rathmines Primary School is a single storey, two-roomed weatherboard former school with high pitched corrugated iron roof.


Rathmines Primary School was built in 1927 to provide for the education of the children living in the developing suburb of Rathmines.

The school started with 40 students under the tutelage of headmistress, Mrs Aileen Mouritz. Mrs Mouritz taught for 40 years, some of those at the Government Infant School in Stirling Street.

Rathmines had a strong Greek community, many of them working in the local fishing industry.

Rathmines Primary School (fmr) is now used by the Bunbury Playgroup.

The suburb of Rathmines is named after Rev Joseph Withers' home town in Ireland. Rev Joseph Withers arrived in Western Australia with his wife, two sons and niece on the 18 January 1864. He had been the Chaplain on board the convict ship 'Dalhousie'. A month later they moved to Bunbury where Withers was the Anglican Chaplain from 1864 to 1880 and again from 1889 to 1893. In 1872, Withers purchased Portion 11 of Leschenault Location 26 and in 1895, he subdivided the area which was to become known as Rathmines.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Pre-primary Centre
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Primary School

Architectural Styles

Other Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Creation Date

07 Oct 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

07 Nov 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.