inHerit Logo

Newcastle State School (fmr)

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

02559
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

6 Duke St Toodyay

Location Details

GPS: 0449358 6509059

Other Name(s)

Toodyay Repertory Club, Toodyay School
Toodyay Uniting Church (Methodist)

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1900, Constructed from 1886

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 07 Jun 1977

Heritage Council
Uniting Church Inventory Completed 01 Oct 1996

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

Statement of Significance

The former Newcastle School established in 1886 has historic value as the first purpose built school in Toodyay. The place has aesthetic and historic value as an example of George temple Poole's architecture. The place has aesthetic value as a landmark and for its contribution to the streetscape of Toodyay.
The place demonstrates social value for the contribution to the sense of place for generations of students and church goers since the 1880's.
The place has historic value as it demonstrates the evolution of the place through change of use. It became a church and has considerable association with the Methodist and Uniting church communities.

Physical Description

The building is of red brick construction laid in Flemish bond. High pitched gable roof, originally with shingle roof, now corrugated iron. Timber sash windows with rendered window dressings. Timbered bargeboard on gable. Tall chimney. The classroom extension is of single storey construction with low pitched roof and tall chimney. Constructed of red brick and corrugated iron roof. Both buildings sit on partially rendered plinths.

History

After flooding in the Toodyay townsite, the school was temporarily closed and the Education Board urged the establishment of a school in the newly gazetted town of Toodyay. It was proposed to use the Commissariat Store and quarters, but they were taken for convict purposes, and the money was reallocated to buying land and building a new school.
Students were educated from 1867 first by Mrs Farmer, wife of Thomas Farmer, and then by Mrs Innes, wife of the Congregational Minister. Both women taught in their homes. Rev & Mrs. Innes were very active in eduction and community affairs, and succeeded in securing the former policeman's depot cottage for a school room in 1873. It was inadequate and moves for a school became more intense. Mrs Whitfield opened a private school in 1871 and in 1874 an unofficial Catholic school opened. By 1882, the school room was in poor condition with 50 students in one room and the teacher having been allocated to other room in 1879 for living quarters.
In the mid 1880's the poor condition of many government buildings in Toodyay prompted a number of renovation works, and plans for a new school, and the old school being converted into a hospital. The school opened in May 1887. In 1897, the Newcastle Wesleyans raised funds to build a church near the school. In 19554, the school closed, and the building was used by the local repertory club who purchased the property in 1959. After the Methodist church was demolished in 1962, to make way for the standard gauge railway line, the church used the former school. In May 1993 after fire destroyed the new Toodyay School, the building was again used as s school until temporary classrooms were provided while the school was rebuilt.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Moderate
Authenticity: Moderate

Condition

Fair

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
George Temple Poole Architect 1886 -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Academic Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

04 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.