inHerit Logo

Yanrey Homestead

Author

Shire of Ashburton

Place Number

15397
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Yanrey Pastoral Station via Carnarvon

Location Details

Local Government

Ashburton

Region

Pilbara

Construction Date

Constructed from 1915, Constructed from 1901

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Aug 1999 Category B

Category B

Worthy of high level of protection: to be retained and conserved; provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the Shire of Ashburton Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to undertaken before approval is given for any major redevelopment. Incentives to promote conservation should be considered.

Statement of Significance

Yanrey Homestead has aestheic, historic and representative cultural heritage value. The homestead has a practicl and aesthetic design for the North west. It is associated with the development of pastoralism in Ashburton is strong and the station is a fine example if the early pioneer days. The station has had a long association with one family, the Alstons, who are descendants of and early settler and founder of hte homestead, Thomas de Pledge.

Physical Description

The substantial home was built over two time period. The first part was erected in 1901 and the second part (the east wing) was added in 1915. The house is constructed of corrugated iron walls on a timber frame. Internal features include patterned iron decoration and timber floors. The rectangular building which reflects it two stage construction, has twin hipped roofs with a surrounding verandah under a separate roof. Shrubbery circling the house shades the walls. Large expanses of manicure lawns used for tennis and croquet surround the house.

History

The original leaseholders of Yarnrey were John and David Stewart. After John Stewart died, the station was sold in 1898 to Thomas de Pledge, an englishman who had worked for Stewart as a jackeroo. Under de Pledge's management the station expanded. Yanrey grew to be the third largest station in the Ashburton Road Boards District, with an acreage of 876,892. T de Pedge was an influential pastoralist who was actively involved in local development of both Onslow and the Ashburton district in general. He donated 100 pounds for the building of St Nicholas Church in new Onslow.

An interesting situation occurred in Ashburton when cars and trucks were introduced. As teams of camels, horses and donkeys were still being used to haul the wool clips from the stations, motor vehicles had great difficulties using the same tracks owing to bogs and deep ruts. Between 1927 and 1930 a number of roads were built and gazetted only for motor vehicle use. Yanrey was one station that was given one of these special purpose roads. Yanrey remained isolated from Onslow but with the aid of telephones, communication improved. When this line of communication was interrupted by storms the people of Yanrey again felt their isolation. In 1934 the telephone lines went down in a widespread area owing to the severe cyclone, it took quite a while for the service to be reinstalled. However, damage that occurred to the roads leading to Yanrey and other stations in the same cyclone, took even longer to be repaired as the Roads Board concentrated on the town and jetty rstoration.

1920 was an important year for the North west when Major Norman Brearly flew into Ashburton in a bid to start a commercial airline. On his first visit he landed at Yarney and picked up Mrs de Pledge and another passenger Harry Parsley. They became the first airborne passengers to land at Onslow. Another flight experience involving Yanrey was the stationing of an air force unit at the property durng World War II.

According to the reminisceneces of former Ashburton Roads Board President Ashley Paterson, the last overland droving of a significant number of sheep occurred in 1953 out of Yanrey. The manager at the time took sheep from Kooline to Bullara.

On the death of de Pledge, Yanrey Station passed to his daughters, Maud Alston and Patricia de Pledge.

In 1999 the station was run by Tom Alston, the great grandon of Thomas de Pledge. The station stocks both sheep and cattle on a property of approximately 1,000,000 acres which includes Kordarrie lease. The homestead has changed very little over the years, other than maintenance repairs. These were particularly needed after floods in the 1980's.

Integrity/Authenticity

High Degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
A & M Webb;"Edge of Empire". Artlook Books 1983
C Day;"Oral history given bySue and William Alston". O'Brien Planning Consultants 1st February 1999

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Present Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall METAL Corrugated Iron
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying

Creation Date

04 Feb 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.