Local Government
Chittering
Region
Avon Arc
1 & 2 Brand Hwy Muchea
Edwards Place
Chittering
Avon Arc
Constructed from 1960
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 19 Aug 1999 | Category 4 |
Category 4 |
The store has significant associations with the Philmores, Peters and Edwards, and the continuous operation and development of the store in Muchea.
Philmores originally established the first store on Muchea in Archibald St in about 1908. Mr McNeil had meanwhile established a store, at Edwards Place, and in August 1920, James and Lily Philmore purchased this property and ran the store until 1936 when JC Peters bought the business. On 31 May 1946, Edwards planted the River Gum (from Irwin River) in front of the store and it is now a landmark in Muchea. In 1947, after a demand for the timber mill, the post office was transferred from the railway station to the shop. After the war, in 1948, J & W Edwards took over. He had a Tuesday grocery and mail run throughout the district. On 13 June 1959, the store burnt down one night in an electrical storm, after lightening hit the phone exchange in the store. The volunteer fire brigade were at a dance in Lower Chittering. Many personal and historical documents were lost in the fire. The community rallied and assisted in the cleanup and re-build of the store and residence. The store operates as the post office, general store and hardware.
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
Udell; "A History of Gingin 1830 to 1960". | Ginging Shire Council | 1979 | |
"Unpublished Research". | Muchea Historical Society |