inHerit Logo

Wagerup Post Office (Ruins)

Author

Shire of Waroona

Place Number

03083
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Marriot Rd off South Western Hwy Waroona

Location Details

Access from Marriot Road off South Western Highway

Local Government

Waroona

Region

Peel

Construction Date

Constructed from 1944

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Nov 1995 Category 2

Category 2

Conservation Highly Recommended Of very considerable value to the Municipality. High level of protection appropriate; Provide maximum encouragement to the owner/s under the Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place; Encourage owner/s to reinstate and/or retain original fabric/features of the place (i.e. verandahs, shingles, timber windows) All development applications (including demolition) should be considered by Council Photographically record the place prior to any major development or demolition. Recommendations: Incorporate within Town Planning Scheme. Design guidelines/heritage policies should be developed in order to enhance and conserve the place in context with its location.

Statement of Significance

The former post office building has rarity value in that it is the only remaining building of the Wagerup townsite. It was built through the efforts of the local community and would have been an important gathering place for them.

Physical Description

Building constructed from cement bricks, with jarrah floorboards and plaster walls. Cement foundation (tempered with gravel) and a corrugatediron gabled roof and skillion front verandah. The building is in poor condition owing to vandalism and weathering.

History

About 1944 a new post office building was erected by local residents who raised the necessary money by running dances and asking for donations. The land was apparently donated by the Browns. The three trustees of the new post office were Alf Brown, Merrick Tyler and Albert Trotter. From the late 1950's until its closure the post office was run by the Dundon family. Wagerup Post Office closed in 1977. This building is the only remnant of the Wagerup townsite. Bricks made by Noel Skinn and Noel Palmer
The Wagerup Post Office also held the telephone exchange.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use Transport\Communications Comms: Post or Telegraph Office

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall CONCRETE Concrete Block
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Mail services
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

17 Jun 1991

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.