Balloons Bunbury silho Freo Rail station Govt house Marvel Bar Rotto Swan building
inHerit Logo

HOUSE (FMR DUPLEX), 13-15 THOMPSON RD

Print this record

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

01043
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

13-15 Thompson Rd North Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

1897 to 0

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Town Planning Scheme YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Register of the National Estate Nominated 04 Nov 1981 NA

NA

Register of the National Estate Indicative Place 15 Oct 2013 NA

NA

Classified by the National Trust Classified 04 Dec 1980 NA

NA

Parent Place or Precinct

22385 North Fremantle Precinct

Statement of Significance

House, 13-15 Thompson Road, is a stone and iron single storey cottage (originally a duplex) dating from the 1890s. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of North Fremantle. Historically significant as a representation of typical workers' houses in the North Fremantle area. The place is a simple example of the Victorian Georgian style of architecture.

Physical Description

Duplex (fmr) 13-15 Thompson Road is a single storey stone and iron cottage with symmetrical facade designed as a late example of the Victorian Georgian style of architecture. Walls are painted limestone with painted brick quoins and reveals. Roof is hipped corrugated iron with no eaves. Verandah is under separate corrugated iron roof. Verandah is supported by timber posts with a simple timber balustrade. Front elevation is symmetrical with a wide set of steps leading up to the verandah. The house is set well back from the street with large trees in the front garden and a low timber picket fence along the front boundary.

History

Thompson Road was named for George Thompson (1838-1874), Fremantle's first town clerk (1871-73). The street is mainly residential, with some commercial development at the northern end between Alfred Road and McCabe Road. The majority of the houses were built c. 1900. Only a few lots on the street remained vacant in the 1920s.

Duplex, 13-15 Thompson Road was constructed at some time prior to 1897, when it appears on a map. Records indicate that Mr Gallin, a building contractor, owned part, or possibly all, of the duplex prior to 1914, when he sold the place to Mr. McLarty. A 1913 map shows 13-15 Thompson Road as a stone duplex, well set back from the street.

In the early 1920s, the two duplex halves had separate owners, with the title of number 13 held by Florence McLarty and occupied by her husband, James McLarty, and presumably their family. Number 15 was owned and occupied by William Howe. While Howe had sold his place to William J. Brenton by 1924, the McLartys stayed on, and remained at the place until John McLarty’s death in the late 1950s. Harry Cole let number 13 from the Estate of James McLarty until the early 1960s. He later purchased the residence and his wife, Betty May Cole, was still in residence in 1974. The place was extensively altered in 1976 by its then owner, Mr Wannis. Renovations included re-roofing the duplex, and the removal of the interior dining room wall. In 2005, the duplex is a single residence.

A 1939 diagram shows the duplex at 13-15 Thompson Road as being a duplex straddling two lots. There was a separate garage at the front of No. 13. Both duplexes had full length front verandahs and a single path led from the street to the centre of the building. Both duplex halves had paths and outbuildings to the rear.

This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.

Integrity/Authenticity

Medium degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability, some alterations).
Medium degree of authenticity with some loss of original fabric.
(These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence
Original RESIDENTIAL Terrace housing

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Viewing Status

Approved

Last Update

9 Jun 2013

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.