inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


13 Jackson St North Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1899

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Parent Place or Precinct

22385 North Fremantle Precinct

Statement of Significance

House, 13 Jackson Street, a single storey former rectory dating from 1899 constructed with rendered brick walls and a hipped and gabled roof and limestone front fence, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

the place has some aesthetic value as an example of a Federation Queen Anne style of architecture that contributes to the quality of its setting along Jackson Street and the surrounding area;

the place has some historic value as a representation of a rectory in the Fremantle area;

it is a late nineteenth residence that demonstrates the settlement and development of the North Fremantle area; and,

it has social value for members of the former church and contributes to the community’s sense of place.

Physical Description

House, 13 Jackson Street is a single storey rendered brick and Colorbond house with asymmetrical facade built in the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture in 1899. The house is elevated above the street and addresses the corner of Jackson and Pearse Streets with the front entrance located on the western (Pearse St) elevation. The walls are painted and rendered brick. The corrugated iron hipped roof has three prominent decorative gables which extend from the bays walls. The verandah is under a separate corrugated Colorbond roof and wraps around the south and west facades and is supported by simple posts over a concrete floor which are not the original. There are three rendered corbelled chimneys evident. The house is larger than most in the immediate area and is orientated to the south west corner of the block.

The rear of the site has skillioned roof additions and paved area. The room on the north west corner is a rendered brick construction, a door has been previously removed and in filled. There is no WC or outbuildings extant.

This place contains a limestone feature. This feature is a limestone retaining wall to the edge of the site to the south and west. A steel bar fence is located above the limestone wall.

A Heritage Assessment was prepared in Feb 2010 by the City of Fremantle for a DA submission to Council for demolition of the rear skillioned roof section of the original house to facilitate the approved survey strata, second storey additions and external and internal alterations to the original house.


Jackson Street was originally part of Lot P47, which was granted to Pensioner Guard George Costigan in 1884. The land was transferred to James Roe (Perth Journalist), then to George Frederick Gallop (Fremantle Clerk) before being purchased by a group of gentlemen in 1897. William Edward Marmion, James Grave, Edward Keane, Edmund Gilyard Lacey and Frederick Charles Monger immediately subdivided the land for residential development and the lots were gradually taken up between 1897 and 1913. The origin of the name Jackson Street is not known.

Jackson Street was developed as a short street running east-west between Pearse Street and Queen Victoria Street (near the present junction with Stirling Highway). The houses built in Jackson Street were generally modest brick, stone or timber cottages for people working in the area. Many of the houses were investment properties leased to tenants. With the development and expansion of Fremantle Port, the zoning for the area changed from residential to general industrial purposes. In 2004, Jackson Street continues to be a residential street with most homes occupied by their owners.

The brick and tile house at 13 Jackson Street was built circa 1899 as a rectory for the Church of England’s Church of St Mary the Virgin, which was built on the corner of Jackson Street and Queen Victoria Street in 1895 to serve the parish of North Fremantle. The formation of North Fremantle as a separate parish in 1899 necessitated the construction of a rectory. (Prior to this, the Rector of St John’s, Fremantle, had attended the church and its parishioners).

The first Rector in North Fremantle was Reverend W F Marshall. The site chosen was the largest block in the street and the house was one of the largest at the time. Rectors who lived at the house are as follows: W F Marshall (1899-1901); R W H Christie (1901-1902); S Asquith (1902-1903); D D Moore (1903-1912); C S Ricardo (1912); J A Priestly (1912-1917); G G Humphrey (1917-1926); W Scott-Clarke (1926-1933); and H C Lawson (1940-1942). Although the Church continued to serve the parish until 1971, St Mary’s ceased to have a resident rector in 1942. It is assumed that the church sold the house at this time. (This has not been verified from available records; a title search is required). In 1955, the property was owned and occupied by George Meters.

In 1940, the house had verandahs on all sides and retained its original form. A galvanised iron laundry, water tank and water closet were located at the far corner of the block. In 1954, the house was connected to the mains sewerage system and in 1959 a timber and asbestos garage was built on the site. By 1979, the original verandah posts had been removed and a portion of the verandah had been enclosed with a brick and louvered wall.
This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.

In 1985, minor renovations were undertaken including painting the exterior and interior of the house. In 2004, the house was still used as a residence.

A Heritage Assessment was prepared in Feb 2010 by the City of Fremantle for a DA submission to Council for demolition of the rear skillioned roof section of the original house to facilitate the approved survey strata, second storey additions and external and internal alterations to the original house.

In 2010 the place was being used as offices.

In March 2014 real estate ads reported that the place was recently restored by owner and architect Ross McAndrew. It was sold at auction in April 2014 for $1.3m. It was described as a 4 bed house. The floor plan shows a rear extension for a kitchen, and conservatory, and a double garage at the rear with a loft bedroom above.


Medium degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability, restored, some reversible unsympathetic alterations).
Medium degree of authenticity with some loss of original fabric.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Office or Administration Bldg
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.