inHerit Logo

Connor's House (fmr)

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

12194
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

133 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

MI states: 143 Stirling Tce BDD 18-12-12

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1890

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 3

Category 3

Recognition of cultural heritage value; Provide recognition and protection through the processes of the Town Planning Scheme. Recommend that the place is retained and conserved if possible. Photographically record the place to any major redevelopment or demolition.

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value as it demonstrates the development of Toodyay in the 1890's. It also has historic value through its association with local identities Daniel and Catherine Connor and Eileen Syred.
The place has social value as it demonstrates a former way of life through the scale of the dwelling and the size of the rooms.
The building has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape of Stirling Terrace.

Physical Description

A long, single storey range of brick construction with iron roof. The main roof sweeps down to form the verandah canopy. The south-western corner of the dwelling also incorporates a hipped section projecting above the main roof. A low brick chimney projects from the hipped roof at the south-eastern end of the dwelling. A verandah extends across the full extent of the front of the building with enclosed bricked lower section, replacing the original wooden balustrades c.1960's. There are three sections to the house each with its own verandah access and front door. Timber framed sash windows. The front elevation is of face brickwork while the visible side elevation is rendered.

History

Daniel Connor (1832-1898) arrived in the colony as a convict in 1853. Through hard work and a shrewd business sense he became one of the most influential men in Toodyay. Connor purchased significant landholdings throughout the townsite including Lot 9 on the corner of Stirling Terrace and Piesse Street. The mill was constructed on part of the lot and this residence was constructed c.1890 for Connor and his wife, Catherine.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: Medium

Condition

Good

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

18 Sep 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.