inHerit Logo

St Davitt's

Author

City of Busselton

Place Number

02936
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

27 Georgette St Busselton

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Early Cammilleri Residence

Local Government

Busselton

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1903, Constructed from 1896

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 13 Aug 2014
State Register Permanent 08 Dec 2006 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 02 Feb 1976

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 20 Jun 1996 Category 1

Category 1

Category 1 places are the most important places in the Shire with the highest cultural heritage values and generally have built features that are part of their significance. Some of these places have been included in the State Register, and are afforded statutory protection under the Heritage of Western Australia Act. Other places in Category 1 should also be assessed by the Heritage Council for possible inclusion in the Register. All places in Category 1 should be included in the Town Planning Scheme, given protection under he scheme, and incentives developed to assist with long term conservation. Incentives might be financial in the form of low interest loans and grants, or non-financial, such as development incentives and conservation advice.

Statement of Significance

St. Davitt’s, a single-storey stone construction and iron roof residence, designed in the Federation Queen Anne style, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons: -
St. Davitt’s was built as the family residence for well-known and successful prospector F. W. P. Cammilleri (Mayor of Busselton, 1904-07), discoverer of the Brown Hill lode that became known as the Oroya Shoot, and his wife, Kate Bayliss (nee Layman), whose family were among the earliest European settlers in the district, and it remained their family home from completion in 1896, through to their deaths in the 1940s, and continued in the ownership and occupation of members of their family to 1959.
St. Davitt’s was built by well-known Busselton builders, Hough and Donald, who, together and individually, were responsible for numerous notable projects, including Caves House at Yallingup and the extensions to Busselton Jetty. St Davitt’s is a good example of a residence built by them, making use of local materials, in particular, stone quarried nearby and timber from local sawmills.
St. Davitt’s is a good example of a Federation Queen Anne design style residence, designed to superior standards, which still retains most of its original external features and intended qualities of the internal spaces.
St. Davitt’s has some rarity value in the town of Busselton as one of a small number of Federation period residences of stone construction, built in the 1890s.
St. Davitt’s was built as a suburban residence at Busselton during the Western Australian gold boom period following the opening of the railway to Busselton, when there was considerable development and building activity in the town, which was developing as both a holiday and trade centre.
St. Davitt’s was owned and occupied from 1959 to 1986, by members of the medical profession, who played a significant part in the lives of the community, namely Dr. A. G. Hemsley (1959-62), Ailsa Carrick (1962-72) and Meave Monks (1962-86).
St. Davitt’s is one of a number of places in Busselton that were originally located in substantial landscape settings, but which have since been eroded by urban development. St. Davitt’s provides visual contrast and adds to the visual complexity of the town.

Physical Description

Single storey limestone and iron Federation Queen Anne style residence.

The original 1896 St. Davitt’s residence is a single-storey random-coursed rubble limestone building, with an ‘M’ format roof, covered with corrugated galvanized iron and a corrugated iron-roofed verandah, in the Federation Queen Anne style, set in a simple domestic-style garden, comprising lawns, trees and shrubs, as previously noted. According to the Documentary Evidence, the roofing material replaces the original. The rear addition, constructed in 1903, is a harmonious addition to the original 1896 section of the residence.
Hipped roof house with a surrounding dropped pitch verandah with an iron lace valance and brackets.
There is a large brick construction addition to the south of the main house and early additions.
The place has been reasonably well-maintained and reflects its values. Cumulative works have resulted in the loss of external detail, some inappropriate masonry repairs and the removal of fireplace surrounds. Verandah floors have already been replaced once, and are in very poor condition again. Overall, the place is in fair, to good, condition.

History

St. Davitt’s comprises a single-storey residence in the Federation Queen Anne design style and was built, in 1896, by local Busselton builders Hough and Donald, for Frederick William Ponsonby Cammilleri, as his family residence. Cammilleri was one of the best-known and most successful prospectors in Western Australia, having discovered the rich lode at Brown Hill, Kalgoorlie. The same builders made additions to the rear, probably in 1903. There were only relatively minor changes until the late twentieth century, when further additions were made to the rear, early outbuildings were removed and new outbuildings were erected. The place remains in family ownership until 1958.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity Notes: The original intent is readily legible and the place has continued in use as a residence since its completion in 1896. Each of the major stages of development are distinguishable, so that the evolution of the residence is readily apparent. Overall, the place retains a high degree of integrity.
Authenticity Notes: Much of the original fabric remains in place and intact. Some detail has been lost and some rooms have been altered for alternative uses. Most of this change has occurred in the late twentieth century. Fabric losses include; decorative treatments to the roof, verandah detailing, the foundation stone, stone- construction fireplaces, as well as the loss of elements such as; the tennis courts, windmill, water tank and flagpole. The fabric that remains in the original 1896 section of the residence is substantially authentic. Overall, the place retains a moderate, to high, degree of authenticity.

High Degree/Moderate-High Degree

Condition

Fair-Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Conservation Plan" 2005

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9168 St. Davitt's - final report. Conservation works report 0
7207 St. Davitt's residence, Busselton : conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2005

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Domestic activities

Creation Date

18 Jul 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.