inHerit Logo

Windy Hollow

Author

Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Place Number

06646
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Henderson Rd nr Kangaroo Gully Rd Bridgetown

Location Details

Local Government

Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1919, Constructed from 1992, Constructed from 1918, Constructed from 1920, Constructed from 1980

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Jun 2001 Category 5

Category 5

Significant but not essential to an understanding of the history of the district: photographically record prior to any major redevelopment or demolition.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Mar 2018 Management Category C

Management Category C

Conservation of the place is desirable but not essential. Development proposals should reinforce the significance of the place, and original fabric should be retained wherever feasible. Record important elements prior to redevelopment or demolition, recognise and interpret if possible.

Statement of Significance

Windy Hollow is of aesthetic, historic and social value as the home of John Potts (Pop) Henderson.
Aesthetic Value
Windy Hollow is a quaint property set in a low lying valley, with its quirky home and tree house, original sheds and pretty gardens.
Historic Value
Windy Hollow is of historic value as the venue of many Bridgetown social gatherings for entertainment and fund raising events held by ‘Pop’ Henderson.
Research Value
NA
Social Value
Windy Hollow has some social value for the numerous fundraising performances held by ‘Pop’ Henderson and for its use as a Bed and Breakfast accommodation in more recent years.

Physical Description

Windy Hollow residence was originally a transported timber cottage which has had many additions and renovations over time.
The two verandahs facing the tennis court are signature builds of John ‘Pop’ Henderson, the original owner of this property, and were added on to the additions either side of the two original transported rooms; originally a bedroom and a kitchen /dining room.
The living room added to the south-western end by John Henderson, is internally decorated in a Tudor style, including dark stained wood panelling throughout most of the room and a cleverly designed Ingle Nook fire place with a trap door for fire wood.
There remain many sheds and outbuildings on the property built by ‘Pop’ Henderson. On top of one sits the original narrow rooftop cupola which he salvaged from the deconstruction of the Mechanics Institute in 1936. The 1980’s renovation included recycling the French doors and windows from the deconstruction of the original post office on Hampton Street, to both renew and create doors and windows to the front (original portions) of the home. This renovation also included a new roof, ceilings, new floors, and the addition of a bathroom and bedroom wing to the north-east. They also enclosed the sunroom which was a large verandah and later added a guest toilet to the outside of the sunroom. The sunroom entry from the house includes one of the two original glass panelled doors from the Westpac Bank on Hampton Street, which were replaced when the central front entry to the bank was moved to the northern side of the building.
To the south-east of the house, is the original separate outdoor laundry which previously had a bedroom/living space above, built by Henderson, in which some of his children slept. The current owners used it for many years as a play room for their own children, however eventually pulled it down due to disrepair. This was known as the tree house, as four Blackbutt trees grew up around and partially through the construction. In 1992, the current owners constructed their own ‘tree house’ to the side of this, above the carport which was newly constructed. These two rooms, which are still used as bed and breakfast accommodation, were to a large degree also built of recycled materials. The roof structure of one was modelled on the angles of the cupola from the Mechanics Institute which sits on the shed.
Significant early plantings include non-fruiting quince, red flowering Prunus, Crataegus Tree (Hawthorn), a variety of Privet, and an original rose bush.
The original driveway is still discernible through the tree line which passes through created Lots 32 and 33 Henderson Road.

History

Prior to John Potts Henderson owning the land, a previous owner had built a mud hut humpy on the property however its location is no longer known. Henderson bought the land c.1918 and bought two weatherboard rooms from Captain Fletcher, on Fletcher Road, to start his home at Windy Hollow. Henderson farmed the property, keeping sheep and cattle, and also planting a vineyard. The vineyard is still somewhat discernible over lots 29 and 30 Windy Hollow Vale. Henderson was also a builder, taking on many contracts for houses, sheds and extensions. His construction style of verandahs are a signature of his work, similar to his own at Windy Hollow and can be seen on a number of homes in and around Bridgetown.
Henderson was also a lover of the arts and was especially skilled in constructing and performing ‘Marionettes’ puppets. ‘Pop’ Henderson would regularly hold entertaining ‘shows’ on the front verandahs at Windy Hollow, which would attract locals and visitors from all over to come and see his marionette puppet shows. The money raised from these shows, was donated to various causes, including WWII efforts, the local hospital fund and local Kindergarten.
When Jim Taylor bought the property in 1964, it consisted of 313 acres. Jim and his wife moved into the home in the 1970’s and began renovations on the house in the 1980’s.
Interestingly, just as the house began on this property as a recycled (transported) home, it would appear that the new owner, John Henderson, was very good at using left over or recycled materials to continue construction of the home, with the Taylors also cleverly incorporating recycled materials both inside and outside of the home during their own renovations.
The property was subdivided in 2008 to create ‘Windy Hollow Estate’, leaving Windy Hollow homestead on a 10 acres parcel.

Integrity/Authenticity

Medium
Windy Hollow remains a private home and until c.2008 was run as a large scale farm.
Medium
Windy Hollow has had many additions and changes since the original timber cottage was transported to the site, however the original cottage remains in situ and can still be interpreted.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
The Blackwood Times pg.14 15/04/1949
The Blackwood Times pg.1 17/04/1953
Contemporary newspaper reports (trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper)

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
No.R18 MI Place No.
A45909 Assess No (Shire Ref)

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Early settlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

14 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

24 Jul 2019

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.