inHerit Logo

Albion Hotel, Cotteloe


Town of Cottesloe

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


535 Stirling Hwy Cottesloe

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Halfway House

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1899, Constructed from 1912

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 27 Jul 2015

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Sep 1995 Category 2

Category 2

Maximum Incentives under the Town Planning Scheme. High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Photographically record the place prior to any major redevelopment or demolition.

Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
RHP - To be assessed Current 31 Mar 2017

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The hotel has social and historic significance as the place, dating possibly from the 1830s, where
travellers stopped on their journey by road between the port of Fremantle and the city of Perth. The
current building has significant landmark value on the Stirling Highway. Importance for association with
John Briggs in the 1870s who had the original hotel, Robert Napoleon Bullen who developed the
grounds in the 1880s and his wife Alice who ran it from 1888.

Physical Description

1995 Comment: "Halfway House". Historic site. Swan Brewery Hotel reconstructed in sympathy with original plans.
The Albion Hotel, A large, attractive two storey red brick and tile building, built in 1912 to replace an
earlier structure. It has horizontal bands of cream stucco. It was built for the Swan Brewery in 1912 by
the architectural firm of Hobbs, Smith and Forbes. It has "Federation Filigree" styling with half timbered
gables, and wooden verandahs. Recent extensive renovations include lattice work to the ground floor
verandah and recreation of the ground floor interiors and spaces. 2002 Reassessment: An important historic landmark structure on the Stirling Highway and an integral part of the Cottesloe shopping centre based on Napoleon Street.

Reason for Inclusion
1. The place is of higher-order local cultural heritage significance, being classified as Category 2 in the Town’s Municipal Inventory (MI).
2. In 2005 the Town undertook a review of MI Category 2 places towards the Heritage List for LPS3. The study recommended that the property be retained as Category 2.
3. The place contributes to the character and amenity of the street, locality and overall district.


Half-Way House: "Mid-way there is a good hotel, built of stone and two storeys high." ? Lang, J. "The Cottesloe Story"
Ms p11.
"... a very large good house, rigged out with native mahogany, and looks very well indeed. ° B. F. Helpman of HMS
Beagle in 1837 quoted in Lang.
Alexander Thomson owned the land in 1864.
T. J. Briggs in his autobiography states, (p.13), that his father acquired 20 acres of land and made several
improvements to the building and applied for a publican's licence [in 1872?] which was granted.
Known at some stage as 'Blood House'. Lang Ms.
April 1882 Robert Atkinson took over as licensee from Thomas Davey [Inquirer April 26, 1882: 5.]
Briggs sold to Robert Napoleon Bullen, a storekeeper, in November 1882.
He set up The Albion Pleasure Grounds.
In 1888 Alice Bullen was registered as proprietor, her husband having died. Alice died in 1910.
In 13/5/1911 the hotel sold to the Swan Brewery by the inheritors of Mrs Bullen's estate, Sarah Maud Bowman of
Guildford and Robert George Bullen.
The brewery engaged Hobbs, Smith and Forbes to draw up plans for new larger hotel to replace the older one. This
was completed in 1912. The plans are on display in the current hotel.


Integrity fair
Modifications Some 1980s major reconstruction. 1991-2 ground floor added on in all directions/




Name Type Year From Year To
Hobbs, Smith and Forbe Architect 1912 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Lang J; "The Cottesloe Story". 1977
Bibliography Cottesloe Society Newsletter 2,1 Cottesloe Society April 1993]:
Briggs TH; "Life and Experiences of a Successful West Australian". 1917
Marchant James, R; "Heritage of Pines". 1977

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
6619 Preliminary heritage survey of the properties affected by the MRS reservation along Stirling Highway (Jarrad Street, Cottesloe to Winthrop Avenue, Subiaco). Heritage Study {Other} 2002

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Federation Filigree

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

18 Aug 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

15 Mar 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.