inHerit Logo

Albany Deepwater Jetty


City of Albany

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Princess Royal Harbour Albany

Location Details


Local Government



Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1886 to 1888

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 14 Oct 2020

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Port-related Structures Survey Completed 31 Oct 1995

Heritage Council
Statewide Lge Timber Str Survey Completed 11 Dec 1998

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 23 Sep 1999 Category A+

Category A+

• Already recognised at the highest level – the WA State Register of Heritage Places. Redevelopment requires consultation with the Heritage Council of WA and the City of Albany. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Statement of Significance

Albany Town Jetty, including the seabed under the jetty and adjacent to it, and notwithstanding the sequential alterations to the jetty structure, as has aesthetic, historic, social, representative and rarity cultural heritage significance for the following reasons;
It is believed to be the oldest jetty site in WA in continuous use.
The place was the gateway port to Australia for international passenger ships arriving from Europe via Cape Leeuwin between 1862 and 1897. During this period it was also the principal landing place for migrants, imports and exports, and international mail.
The place is associated with the development of mail and steam ships services to and from WA in the nineteenth century, and with the development of port facilities in WA.
The place is representative of the importance of shipping in communication, and in the provision of commercial services in the mid and late nineteenth century.

Physical Description

Description taken from Adam Wolfe's Albany Maritime Heritage Survey 1627-1994 Heritage Council of WA-1994 Heritage Council of WA 1994.
Albany Town Jetty is a wooden pile finger jetty fitted with deck railing culminating in a rectangular jetty head. At a later date the jetty was fitted with lamp posts and a number of cranes. A dual tram tracck was laid on the deck connecting the head of the jetty with the shore. In 1892-3 the jetty was extended by 121m. The extension consisted of an arm which curved towards the south east. The last 70m was 10m wide. A railway line was also built along the east side of the old jetty and onto the jetty extension.
Structures built on the jetty included; a baggage and customs store at the base of the jetty; the Princess Royal Yacht Club Rooms; a variety of sheds used amongst others, the Navel Cadets; tearooms; dance hall and a number of landing stages. The jetty was connected to Stirling Terrace by a pedestrian bridge over the railway line. The base of the bridge was located on the east side of the Post Office and Government Offices in Stirling Terrace. The Ship Inn
established in 1843 was located on the shore on the west side of the jetty. This building was demolished to make way for the Great Southern Railway in the 188os. Bathing baths were erected on the jetty in 1889 and in 1924-5. The latter were demolished in 1961.
In 2001the Albany Town Jetty is a timber and iron finger jetty with a landing and steps on each side of the jetty head.
Land fill encloses the base of the jetty on which a car park is located. A concrete boat ramp is located on the south west side of the seaward end of the reclaimed land. It is located on the alignment of Spencer Street below the Old Albany Post Office on the north shore of Princess Royal Harbour. It is envisaged that heavy concentrations of artefacts associated with shipping remain under the sea bed around the jetty


Albany Town Jetty was built from 1862 to 1864 to service the Port of Albany. This was the second jetty in Albany as the first quickly became obsolete following the end of the Crimean War in 1856 and the subsequent increase in traffic through the Port as a result of the steam mail contracts.
In December 1860, James Covert won the tender for the design and construction of the Albany Town Jetty. Work was slow to begin as timber had to be cut and transported to Albany and workmen and iron fittings procured. Thus it was not until July 1862 that Covert had completed 25 feet of the jetty. Progress continued to be slow then ceased completely as Covert could not finish the task. Further tenders were called and in 1864, Alexander Moir of Albany completed the jetty.
The jetty was built as a platform to land cargoes, for the delivery of mail from steamers, and for official purposes such as the measurement and licensing of boats for commercial use on the Harbours and Sound. The jetty comprised a straight arm with two sets of rails laid on the deck and hand railings along both sides. Landings were towards the head of the jetty and hand operated trucks ran on the rails. By 1870, kerosene lamps were hoisted at the seaward end of the jetty as guides for boats landing from mail steamers.
In 1868-70, the Government built three-storeyed offices at the end of Spencer Street. The lower storey, a bonded store, adjoined the jetty. In the same year, Albany Town Jetty was declared an official landing for custom purposes.
Increased traffic at this time led to the extension of the jetty in 1873 and the construction of an iron crane to the south-west corner of the jetty head. Sea baths were built on the west side of the jetty in 1889.
By the early 1880s, the number of ships calling at the Port increased and the Albany Town Jetty had a lack of berthing room. It was not until 1893 that the jetty was further extended with a curved arm toward the south east. In 1899, further additions included the construction of a railway and viaduct along the east side of the jetty and jetty head. A railed-in footway was built along the east side from the shore to the curve in the jetty with openings for access to the water In 1911, a timber boatshed and slip for the Princess Royal Yacht Club were erected on the east side of the jetty. The building remained in use until 1958-59 when the club relocated to Little Grove. Sometime later a shed and slip were built south of the boatshed on the east side.
The condition of the jetty deteriorated and in 1951-52, the base of the jetty was demolished and buried under landfill.
In 1961, the sea baths and shed were demolished. Further work was carried out in 1972 and 1973, and the remaining sheds on the east side of the jetty were demolished and south-east arm shortened. Other alterations have been made to the fabric since that time. In 1978, with the closure of the Cheynes Beach whaling station the whale chasers left the jetty and the old jetty head was closed off and abandoned.
In response to the proposed dredging of an area adjacent to the jetty a maritime archaeological assessment of the area was undertaken. In 1996, a memorial to the Deepwater jetty was dedicated.
The jetty continues to be used for the Port of Albany and for recreational purposes. Water access is restricted to the pilot boat and tugboat berths.


Integrity: Moderate


Name Type Year From Year To
James Covert Architect 1862 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage Council of WA assessment for entry on interim basis 1996
A Wolfe; "AlbanyTown Foreshore Heritage Study Stage 1".". Labd Corp 1994
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999
D Garratt, M McCarthy, V Richards, A Wolfe; "An Assessment of the Submerged Archeaological Remains at the Albany Town Jetty". Land Corp 1995
A Wolfe; "Albany Maritime Heritage Survey 1627-1994" Heritage Council of WA 1994

Place Type

Historic Site


Epoch General Specific
Original Use Transport\Communications Water: Jetty
Present Use Transport\Communications Water: Jetty

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS River & sea transport

Creation Date

23 Apr 1992

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

19 Jan 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.