29-33 Market St Fremantle
Cnr Leake St Associated with 953 - BIDDLES BLDG, PRINCESS BLDG
|Town Planning Scheme||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||21 Mar 1978||NA||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||01 May 1974||NA||
This place is of historic and social significance as a former theatre and subsequently cinema which provided entertainment for the people of Fremantle until its closure in 1957. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust. Awning and shop fronts are not significant.
Two storey highly decorative, rendered and truncated corner building with a zero setback from the pavement. The building has a bracketed and balustrade parapet, with decorative engaged low pilasters. The ground floor has a bull nosed veranda extending into Leake Street, number 29 & 31 has a verandah awning (probably not original). The first floor features; engaged balustrade below the stucco architraves, and pilasters surrounding the arched sash windows, which have six paned transom lights. Engaged Corinthian pilasters divide the pairs of windows and there is decorative stucco over the arches to the cornice.
A two storey hotel, the Racehorse Hotel, was managed by Paterson and Cornish c1850s. It was reported as the principal building in Leake Street (No 2) in 1869. Whilst the rates records do not appear to make any reference to the Racehorse Hotel, a number of oral histories and newspaper references locate it on part of the Princess Theatre site. An arcade from the hotel lead to the theatre. Reference is made to the owners Cornish and Paterson in 1856-59, who were reported to be the managers of the hotel.
Rates records indicate residences on lot 125 & 126 from 1880.
The Princess Theatre was built in 1912. Whilst the building facade creates the impression of being a separate building, it is an extension of the Princess Chambers adjacent. An arcade originally gave access to the Princess Theatre behind (brick warehouse building at 2 Leake Street). The former Princess Theatre was designed by John McNeece & Co and built by Mr C. Moore. It was erected for Captain F. Biddles at a cost of £7, 000. In 1915 Capt Biddles made the basement of the Princess Theatre available to provide amenities for army and naval personnel. This was the early beginnings of the RSA, later to become known as the RSL. A more permanent structure was built the following year nearby. The building was extensively rebuilt in 1941. In 1969, after 57 years, the Princess Theatre screened its last film. The building was then converted to commercial use. The auditorium built on Lots 24, 125 & 126 became a panel beater's shop.
Currently (2002), various retail outlets.
|Name||Association Type||Date From||Date To|
|C Moore 8131||Builder||-||-|
|Capt F Biddles 8132||Original Owner||-||-|
|John McNeece and Son 8130||Architect||-||-|
Individual Building or Group
|Other||COMMERCIAL||Office or Administration Bldg|
|Original||SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL||Theatre or Cinema|
|Federation Free Classical|
|SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES||Sport, recreation & entertainment|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.