inHerit Logo

Mundaring Hotel

Author

Shire of Mundaring

Place Number

01674
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

3115 Jacoby St Mundaring

Location Details

Cnr Nichol St

Local Government

Mundaring

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1899

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 1 - Exceptional significance

1 - Exceptional significance

Rare or outstanding example; essential to the heritage of the locality Expectations: The place should be retained and conserved. Any alterations or extensions should reinforce the significance of the place and be in accordance with a Conservation Plan if one is in place.

RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Current 27 Feb 2004

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Mundaring Hotel has very high aesthetic, social and historic significance for its two storey styling and landmark qualities; its associations with the old heart of Mundaring and prominent people involved with the development of the district.

Physical Description

The two storey Mundaring Hotel sits on the corner of Jacoby and Nichol Streets Mundaring opposite the railway reserve sculpture park to the south and the Mundaring Hall on the adjacent (west) corner. It is of the Federation Free Style period and has landmark qualities, positioned prominently in the old heart of Mundaring around the railway station. The first floor verandas and balustrades still overhang the footpath and have not been removed as has been the fate of most of the hotels throughout the State. However, the original decorative timber veranda columns and first floor balustrades have unfortunately been replaced with brick piers and flush panel balustrades. The verandas wrap around the street frontage from Nichol Street to Jacoby Street, terminating at a projecting 'residents' entry featuring narrow, arched windows and door. The red brick walls have been painted 'off-white' and the rendered band at door head height painted dark red, all of which has changed the character of the place although its form and integrity remain quite high. Obtrusive signage on the walls and veranda detract from the appearance and original character of the Hotel. The corrugated iron roof is painted red and has a simple hipped form punctuated by two, relatively tall brick chimneys with decorative rendered mouldings. Internally the hotel has undergone various 'modernisations' which has removed much of its original decoration and finish.

History

On 22nd October 1898, soon after the Mundaring townsite was gazetted in May 1898, H.A. Hummerston, then licensee of the Helena Vale Hotel in Railway Parade Midland, acquired lots 54 and 55 on the corner of Jacoby and Nichol Streets and near to the newly-built Mundaring Railway Station. In April 1899, the first publican Albert Maddock, opened the two-storey, brick building for business. In June 1900, John Chipper took over the lease and began to advertise to attract the holiday resort trade. It became a very popular weekend retreat and many other guest houses and cottages, such as 'Temuka' (Site 26), followed the trend. Before the Masonic Lodge (Site 46) in Jacoby Street was built in 1926, meetings of the local Freemasons Lodge were held in the hotel. In January 1929, the lease was taken over by Bob Crawford from the Freemasons Hotel in Bridgetown. After Hummerston died in 1932, the hotel was bought by Mundaring identity Fred Jacoby. Jacoby first came to Mundaring in November 1893, when he and brother Mathieson Harry and father Daniel purchased the vineyard Peter Gugeri had established in 1882 (Site 20).
In recent times, the hotel was owned by prominent Mundaring family, the Italiano Brothers.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Modifications: Painted brickwork; verandah and internal alterations.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Swan Express". 18/1/1929
I Elliot; ibid pp. 112, 116-117, 197

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
7022 Images CD No. 26 : assessment images : Mundaring Hotel, Temuka, Faversham, Armadale Brickworks (fmr). C D Rom 2004

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

01 Feb 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

10 Feb 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.