inHerit Logo

Parkville

Author

Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Place Number

03191
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

543 Crowd Wheatley Rd Hester Brook

Location Details

Local Government

Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1895, Constructed from 1890, Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 28 Jun 2001 Category 5

Category 5

Significant but not essential to an understanding of the history of the district: photographically record prior to any major redevelopment or demolition.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 29 Mar 2018 Management Category C

Management Category C

Conservation of the place is desirable but not essential. Development proposals should reinforce the significance of the place, and original fabric should be retained wherever feasible. Record important elements prior to redevelopment or demolition, recognise and interpret if possible.

Statement of Significance

Parkville is of significance as the home and farm of early settlers William and Eva Wheatley, for its collection of significant buildings and for its historical use as a the site of a small local school.
Aesthetic Value
Parkville’s elevated level, architecture and surrounding gardens, including early plantings of Bunya Pines
Historic Value
Parkville has historic value as an early settler farm, as a small school and as a place of POW housing and labour.
Research Value
A plaque on the road just before the property recognises both Parkville and Hazeldale as having been used as for small local schools.
Social Value
Parkville was of high social value to the Wheatley family, as well as the Crowd family of Hazeldale who were also schooled on the property.

Physical Description

This c.1900 brick and tin house features dropped-roof verandahs, four dormer windows, large blockwork quoining around the doors and windows, Flemish bond brickwork and a moulded rendered chimney. Old photos reveal that the red tuck-pointed brick was originally exposed, but this has since been painted over (white). The dormer windows were originally taller, each with a rectangular face and gable roof, but have since been changed to an ‘eyebrow’ or low triangular construction.
The front verandah is elevated above the front garden and the concrete moulded balustrading along the steps leading up to the front door makes a strong entry statement.Verandahs surround the front and sides of the house, while the separate maids quarters, kitchen, larder and office at the rear were later adjoined to the house by an enclosed verandah. This portion is constructed of local stone with brick quoining, all of which has also been painted white.
The original (c.1890-1895) house of local stone, red brick quoining and iron roof, still exists as part of a shed, as does the workers quarters on the hill above, which also housed POW (Prisoners of War) workers.
A c.1950’s - 1960’s timber cottage at the entrance to the property is of little historic significance to this property, however it is said to be a timber workers cottage transported from the Manjimup area. Significant additions/extension are being made to the main house at present, however little to no alterations will be made to the c.1900 portion.
Original or early exotic plantings at Parkville include two large Bunya Pines at the entrance to the property and a couple of large Oak trees and Cedar trees also near to the house.

History

Parkville is located alongside Orange Grove farm, on the north side of the Blackwood River, and was originally the homestead and farm of William Wheatley.
William Wheatley, third son of Peter and Ellen Wheatley, was one of three brothers who grew up in the Warren district before settling in the Blackwood. He married Eva Mottram (who was from another pioneering family of the Warren district) in 1902.
The first home on the property (constructed c.1890-1895) still stands in use as a tool shed. The current home was built c.1900.
William became a well-respected member of the community. He cleared and farmed his land as well as owning Donnelly Mill (then called Wheatley’s Mill) with his brother Thomas. Parkville School was originally run from the Wheatley’s home and later from the neighbouring Crowd family property ‘Hazeldale’. An advertisement in the Bunbury Herald in February 1918 called for tenders for the ‘Parkville Portable school’ costed at 228 pounds and 16 shillings. Therefore it is possible that a transportable weatherboard schoolroom was moved to or built on the property at that time, however there is no current information regarding that construction.
At some stage Cottmore Cottage on Peninsula Road, was built by Wheatley as a town house, although this apparently took some years to build.
William died at the age of 49yrs, on the 11 November 1921, at St John of God Hospital Subiaco due to ‘internal troubles’, said to be caused by being gorged by a bull three weeks before. Eva and her two young sons and four daughters carried on running Parkville for some years. Like many of the local farms this relied in part on the labour of Italian Prisoners of War during WWII.
The property did not change hands until 1948 when the property was sold to Scottish emigrants MV and JM Hamilton, who renamed the property as Park Farm. It was sold again a few years later to Mr GE Harris who owned the property by January 1955.

Integrity/Authenticity

High
Parkville is still a working farm and the house continues to be a family residence.
Medium
Despite some alterations, three significant additions, (and another underway), the character of the original part of the main house can still be readily understood. Early outbuildings, including the original brick and stone house and workmen’s cottage, remain in situ and also retain their original character and form.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
South Western Times Obituaries 19/11/1921
Blackwood Times pg.14 24/04/1953
Contemporary newspaper reports (trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper)
Blackwood Times 12/11/1948

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
No.R8 MI Place No.
A48397 Assess No (Shire Ref)

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Historic Themes

General Specific
PEOPLE Early settlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

11 Sep 1992

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

23 Jul 2019

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.