inHerit Logo

Granville - Homestead (fmr) & Park

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

01084
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

10 Weld St Gingin

Location Details

Located in Granville Park Lot 262.

Other Name(s)

Granville (Jones) Hotel

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1860

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Current 22 Feb 2013

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Oct 2017 Category 1

Category 1

A place of exceptional cultural heritage significance to Shire of Gingin and the state of Western Australia, that is either in the Heritage Council of WA's Register of Heritage Places or worthy of consideration for entry in the Register. A development application needs to be submitted to the Heritage Council for any proposed development. Recommend: Retain and conserve the place. Full consultation with property owner prior to making the recommendation.

Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Jul 1978

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Granville is a surviving example of the early development in Gingin townsite and associations with the community identity of the T J Jones and family, and the hospitality function of social significance and for the people who stayed there. The building set in the undulating grassed banks of Gingin Brook, featuring the water wheel, is a landmark in Gingin and makes a considerable contribution to the historic townscape.

Physical Description

The remaining building are likely remnants of the c.1860 and c.1971 buildings. Set in undulating park land sloping down to Gingin Brook to the north, the Weld Street frontage of the building has a gable wall and the expansive skillion shade structure. Behind that is the remainder of the "L" form plan. That evidences a gable to the north elevation with break pitch enclosure both sides.

History

Thomas James (T J) Jones lived in Weld Street and had Mr Cartmell build the hotel and residence over the road. South of the Gingin brook. The first structure was mudbat, two rooms facing Weld Street with services at the back and a cellar on the north side, operating as an inn and his residence. It is unsure if it was named Granville at that time. In 1869, the Government Gazette proclaimed the townsite named Granville, perhaps the Hotel was consequently so named. In December 1871, the town was proclaimed as Gingin. Jones had been pressured to construct an suitable building on the site as a condition of attaining the Inn keepers Licence in 1872. In c.1871 the southern wing comprising four large rooms was added, constructed in burnt bricks and corrugated iron. Liquor had been for sale for some time operating as the Granville Hotel (wayside inn). In 1885 T J Jones died and his son James Vigors Aldred (JVA) Jones took over with his wife Emma (Clinch). In 1893, (JVA) Jones was elected to the inaugural Gingin Road board (1893-1896, 1900-1901, 2001-2016, 2019,2020, 2023-2029) and the inaugural meeting was at the Granville Hotel. In c.1895 a detached brick and iron on the north side served as the kitchen, dining room and two bedrooms. On the south side of the brook was the orchard and vegetable garden that provided fresh produce to the hotel and Mrs Jones catering to the railway refreshment rooms. After JVA Jones death in 1929, the property was administered by WA trustees and sold over a number of years. The property change hands a few times until 1969 when the Gingin Shire purchased it, demolishing the north wing, and a rear veranda. The remainder was renovated as an Arts and Crafts Centre between 1978 and 2003. The Shire leases the building to the successful cafe operators.
The Water wheel is a feature located at the edge of Gingin Brook that runs through Granville Park. A replica of the flour mill established at Cheriton Farm in 1855, the original axel was restored and relocated to this site by Frank Butler for the Shire in 1978. In 2012 members of Ginqin's Mens Shed rebuilt the timber section of the water wheel.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High degree
Authenticity: Low/moderate degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 154 & 276

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
3920 Gingin Townscape Project Report 1991
2251 A history of Gingin, 1830 to 1960. Book 1979
3864 Statewide Survey of Hotels 1829-1939 Southern Region Western Australia. Heritage Study {Other} 1997

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Victorian Georgian

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Face Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

28 Jan 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.