Balloons Bunbury silho Freo Rail station Govt house Marvel Bar Rotto Swan building
inHerit Logo

Clackline Refractory

Author

Shire of Northam

Place Number

10912
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Refractory Rd Clackline

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Clackline Clay and Brick

Local Government

Northam

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed in 1898

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Feb 1998 4. Little Significance

4. Little Significance

Does not fulfil the criteria entry in the local Heritage List. Photographically record prior to major development or demolition. Recognise and interpret the site if possible.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Feb 1998 3. Some / Moderate significance

3. Some / Moderate significance

Contributes to the heritage of the locality. Has some altered or modified elements, not necessarily detracting from the overall significance of the item. Conservation of the place is desirable. Any alterations or extensions should reinforce the significance of the place, and original fabric should be retained wherever feasible.

Statement of Significance

The Clackline Refractory has historical significance owing to its long association with the manufacture of bricks from the local clay. In recent times the plant has produced a range of ceramic products.

Physical Description

The Clackline Refractory is nestled in a valley, not far from Great Eastern Highway. At the time of the consultants’ site visit, the site appeared deserted, except for stacks of miscellaneous ceramic products. Some non-operational kilns are still evident, while there are more modern kilns for modern day production. The older kilns are brick, sheltered by a corrugated iron roof supported on metal poles. A tall brick chimney stands alongside the kilns.

History

The Clackline Refractory was established in 1898 after John Ford and James Murray discovered clay suitable for fired bricks in the Clackline area. They set up the WA Firebrick Co, which only survived for two years. It was then operated by Bunnings until 1903, and then by the Hunter family until 1950s. Its later history is not known at this stage.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High Degree
Authenticity: High Degree

Condition

Fair - Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
John Ford & James Murray Other Association - -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
DS Garden; "Northam: An Avon Valley History".

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use INDUSTRIAL\MANUFACTURING Brickworks
Original Use INDUSTRIAL\MANUFACTURING Brickworks

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Manufacturing & processing

Creation Date

09 Mar 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

08 Feb 2015

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.