Local Government
Moora
Region
Wheatbelt
Miling
Moora
Wheatbelt
Constructed from 1923
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
RHP - Does not warrant assessment | Current | 29 Apr 2016 |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 19 Nov 1997 | Category 5 |
Category 5 |
Te site represents ways of life no longer practised and associations with early settlers in Miling.
Settlers were attracted to the Miling area with the promise of the railway line. A reserve was allocated for new settlers and cleared by settlers, who had to cart all goods, supplies and equipment from the Marne Siding. Land at the reserve was allocated for a school. The first Miling School was erected in 1923 and finished on 17th November. The Primary Producers Association celebrated the event with a picnic, sports and a dance, even before the teacher arrived. The school opened on 24th November. The teacher boarded with the Seymours at Woodbine.
The school was the first social centre in Miling and the venue for the annual Sports Day. Miling held it's own dances to raise money for school library books. Other functions and the church dances and picnic sports days were held at the school. in 1924, locals cleared some ground at the reserve to play football and made a levy to buy a ball and pump. Later that year they decided ot make a tennis court. Working bees every Sunday constructed the courts (next to the School) and then social tennis was enjoyed on Sunday afternoons.
By 1926, monthly dances were held at the school and the tennis courts had been improved and enlarged. When a new school teacher came to the school in 1927, an incident with a snake prompted a concrete floor for the school porch (which remains still a the reserve).
Early in 1928, the hall committee purchased a piano which replaced the gramophone and was kept at the school.
Although there were 28 children on the roll in 1929, the school closed in 1930. There was considerable dissension among the parents with regard to relocating the school to the Siding or Miling East Road. There was no school in Miling until 1934 when a petition from locally situated parents was succssful and the school reopened with 18 children. The school was then known as the Miling State school.
The same year (1934) the Education Department sen a teacher to the Miling Hall to open a school called the Miling Siding school. Land was acquired near the siding and the reserve school closed in 1936 due to lack of student numbers. The school building from the Reserve Site was relocated to Miling Siding.
Ref ID No | Ref Name | Ref Source | Ref Date |
---|---|---|---|
M Laurie;"Tracks Through the Midlands, A History of the Moora District." | Shire of Moora | 1995 | |
Al Seymour;"The development of Miling" | 1979 |