13-15 Thompson Rd North Fremantle
Constructed from 1897
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007||City of Fremantle|
|Register of the National Estate||Nominated||04 Nov 1981||
|Register of the National Estate||Indicative Place||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||04 Dec 1980||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 3||
|City of Fremantle|
House, 13-15 Thompson Road, is a stone and iron single storey cottage (originally a duplex) dating from the 1890s. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of North Fremantle. Historically significant as a representation of typical workers' houses in the North Fremantle area. The place is a simple example of the Victorian Georgian style of architecture.
Duplex (fmr) 13-15 Thompson Road is a single storey stone and iron cottage with symmetrical facade designed as a late example of the Victorian Georgian style of architecture. Walls are painted limestone with painted brick quoins and reveals. Roof is hipped corrugated iron with no eaves. Verandah is under separate corrugated iron roof. Verandah is supported by timber posts with a simple timber balustrade. Front elevation is symmetrical with a wide set of steps leading up to the verandah. The house is set well back from the street with large trees in the front garden and a low timber picket fence along the front boundary.
Thompson Road was named for George Thompson (1838-1874), Fremantle's first town clerk (1871-73). The street is mainly residential, with some commercial development at the northern end between Alfred Road and McCabe Road. The majority of the houses were built c. 1900. Only a few lots on the street remained vacant in the 1920s.
Duplex, 13-15 Thompson Road was constructed at some time prior to 1897, when it appears on a map. Records indicate that Mr Gallin, a building contractor, owned part, or possibly all, of the duplex prior to 1914, when he sold the place to Mr. McLarty. A 1913 map shows 13-15 Thompson Road as a stone duplex, well set back from the street.
In the early 1920s, the two duplex halves had separate owners, with the title of number 13 held by Florence McLarty and occupied by her husband, James McLarty, and presumably their family. Number 15 was owned and occupied by William Howe. While Howe had sold his place to William J. Brenton by 1924, the McLartys stayed on, and remained at the place until John McLarty’s death in the late 1950s. Harry Cole let number 13 from the Estate of James McLarty until the early 1960s. He later purchased the residence and his wife, Betty May Cole, was still in residence in 1974. The place was extensively altered in 1976 by its then owner, Mr Wannis. Renovations included re-roofing the duplex, and the removal of the interior dining room wall. In 2005, the duplex is a single residence.
A 1939 diagram shows the duplex at 13-15 Thompson Road as being a duplex straddling two lots. There was a separate garage at the front of No. 13. Both duplexes had full length front verandahs and a single path led from the street to the centre of the building. Both duplex halves had paths and outbuildings to the rear.
This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED -significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.
Medium degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability, some alterations).
Medium degree of authenticity with some loss of original fabric.
(These statements based on street survey only).
Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||RESIDENTIAL||Conjoined residence|
|Original Use||RESIDENTIAL||Terrace housing|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Land allocation & subdivision|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.