inHerit Logo

Bonney Downs Homestead and Log Cabin


Shire of East Pilbara

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Newman-Tabba Tabba Rd Nullagine

Location Details

via Nullagine (40 miles from Nullagine in the direction of Newman) Pastoral Lease 3114/1185

Local Government

East Pilbara



Construction Date

Constructed from 1933, Constructed from 1910

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 05 Jun 1984

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Nominated 15 Oct 1984

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1999

Statement of Significance

Bonney Downs Homestead has aesthetic, historic and social heritage values. The older building is unique and is constructed using a method no longer practised today. The design of the building is typical of certain Pilbara homestead buildings built in the early part of the twentieth century. The station demonstrates the evolution of station life over the years. It is associated with an early pioneer family, the Stewarts, who made a significant contributution to the district over many years.
Bonney Downs Homestead is classified by the National Trust and is on the Register of the National Estate.

Physical Description

The main Bonney Downs Homestead consists of two rectangular buildings in parallel use and each surrounded by verandahs. The verandah of each house adjoins to form a breezeway parallel with the long axis. The smaller of the pair, constructed c 1910, has timber walls constructed in log cabin fashion. The timber windows and doors are of quite a sophisticated design. The hipped roof is steeply pitched corrugated iron. The interior walls were later lined with stamped metals. The verandah around the log cabin is made from local flag stones laid down in a crazy paving pattern.
The larger house, built around 1933, has concrete block walls with a corrugated iron vaulted roof. Neither house has a ceiling, so the roof timbers are visible.


This log cabin was the original homestead on Bonney Downs Station, owned by Harry Stewart and Ferdinand Wehl, who were both teamsters. In the early days they ran horses and cattle on Bonney Downs, not sheep.
Gradually, sheep were introduced. During WWI their main source of income was the supplying of remounts to Egypt during the war.
The early Bonney Downs residence was built by Bob Rees, who was periodically employed on a team with Stewart and Wehl. He was also an excellent axe man and he built the house out of Mulga logs and bloodwood uprights. Each Mulga log was split in two with a broadaxe and the building was erected with the split side inside and the bark side on the outside. The average length of the logs is 44 inches. Sawn timber was used for rafters and the roof is of galvanised corrugated iron.
The later building was added c 1933.
It is said that the graves of Bob Rees and a few other people are located about a quarter of a mile from the homestead.
The station is also associated with Mrs Thora Gallop-Howard, daughter of Harry Stewart, who played a major role in the Nullagine district for many years as licensee of the local hotel, storekeeper, postmistress, station manager, and Local Government Councillor. She has been called 'Mrs Nullagine1.


Name Type Year From Year To
Bob Rees Architect 1910 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
National Trust of Australia (WA) ;"Assessment Documentation". National Trust of Australia (WA)
Interview with Mrs Thora Gallop-Howard.

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
5921 Off-shears : the story of shearing sheds in Western Australia. Book 2002

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Other METAL Steel
Wall STONE Local Stone

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.