inHerit Logo

East Rockingham Cemetery

Author

City of Rockingham

Place Number

03145
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

231 Mandurah Rd East Rockingham

Location Details

Lot 3095 on Plan 190473

Local Government

Rockingham

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1842

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 19 Apr 2013

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 24 Apr 2018 Category A

Category A

Worthy of the highest level of protection- recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places. Development would require consultation with the City of Rockingham. Maximum encouragement to the owner should be provided under the City of Rockingham Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. A detailed Heritage Assessment* and Impact Statement should be undertaken before approval is given for any major redevelopment. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be also be considered.

Statement of Significance

• The place has aesthetic value for the variety of monuments and fixtures, which display skills and craftsmanship in the disciplines of ironwork and stone masonry.
• The place is a distinct landmark on Mandurah Road featuring a number of prominent tree plantings along its road edge.
• The place has historic value for its association with the European settlement of the area and provides a record of the development and growth in the region.
• The place is associated with individuals and families connected with the history of Rockingham and the development of the town and region.

Physical Description

Occupying approximately one hectare, East Rockingham Pioneer Cemetery is located on the east side of Mandurah Road in East Rockingham. Both sides of the road are planted with assorted mature trees including two prominent Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla) trees near the entry gates on the western boundary. The north, south and west boundaries are enclosed by a fencing of open steel panels atop low limestone walls with full height supporting limestone piers. Designated paved footpaths are lined with various species of mature cypress trees and set amongst lawned grounds.
The cemetery has limestone and steel railing fences along its north, south and west boundaries. Access pathways within the cemetery are named in honour of early settlers.

History

Plans for the establishment of a cemetery in East Rockingham began in 1847 when the beachfront was surveyed by Alfred Hillman. The survey included a Cemetery at Lot 50 but this proposal did not eventuate.
This site was designated as reserve 841 in 1866 and the first interment of Joseph Broughton, occurred on 13 October 1867. A plaque to commemorate his interment has been placed on the front stone wall of the cemetery in the Anglican A section.
In 1909, the cemetery was vested in the Shire of Rockingham Road Board and trustees of the cemetery were designated.
For the following 60 years, East Rockingham settlers were buried in the cemetery without any records being kept. In 1909, the cemetery was vested in the trustees but record keeping was not done methodically and in 1929, the Roads Board realised the scope of the problem and with the assistance of the Karrakatta Cemetery Board, long-time local resident John Bell was called upon to assist with the recording of names and locations of persons buried in the cemetery.
A burial register was not started until 1937 and many earlier interments that are not marked with a headstone, are unknown. By laws for the cemetery were established in 1956.
In 1992, the lot was resurveyed and the cemetery was enlarged and the new area was laid out as lawn sections. Also in 1993, the first niche wall, made of granite, was built and a further four brick niche walls have been constructed since this time.
In 2007, the name of this cemetery was officially altered to include the word “Pioneer” to better reflect the historical significance of the cemetery to the Rockingham region. On 1 November 2007 an agreement was made with the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board for the undertaking of burials and placing of ashes at East Rockingham Pioneer Cemetery.
On 30 June 2009 the cemetery was officially closed to the issue of new grants of burial, however existing grants may continue to be honoured.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High Degree
Authenticity: High Degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Aerial Photographs Landgate
City of Rockingham Municipal Heritage Inventory
Rockingham Districtor Historical Society

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Cemetery

Creation Date

12 Sep 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

19 Feb 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.