Lot 370 Brockman St Gingin
Constructed from 1893
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||17 Nov 1994||Category 4||
The site is of interest to many local residents who went to school there. Many of them still hold the view that it was in sound condition and should never have been demolished.
Shire offices constructed on site in 1968.
In 1893, four acres of SL370, adjoining St Luke's Church were resumed by the Education Department and eight hundred pounds allocated to build a School. Earlier lessons had been held in the Church and other venues around Gingin. Construction began in late 1894, the building consisting of one room 32 feet by 21 feet, brick with iron roofing.
The school was opened in May 1895, expected attendance 73 children. Mr. Nadebaum replaced the first Headmaster, Mr. A.E. Liddington, in 1900. In 1905 plans for additions were drawn up for a separate weatherboard and iron manual training room. In 1917a second classroom was added to the north side of the School and a front porch and steps were added to face Brockman St.
The school was demolished in 1965. The present day Gingin Shire Council buildings stand just above the site. Landmark Gum trees remain close to Brockman St, they are believed to have been planted by school children on Arbour Day in 1899.
|Ref ID No||Ref Name||Ref Source||Ref Date|
|H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 43 & 178|
|Library Id||Title||Medium||Year Of Publication|
|Original Use||EDUCATIONAL||Primary School|
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.