23-25 William St Fremantle
Constructed from 1887, Constructed from 1904
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007||City of Fremantle|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
|City of Fremantle|
|Statewide Hotel Survey||Completed||01 Nov 1997||
|Register of the National Estate||Nominated||14 Dec 1983||
|Register of the National Estate||Registered||21 Oct 1980||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||01 Aug 1983||
Very significant historically as a hotel built in Fremantle during the gold boom period and still used for its original purpose. The place is a fine example of a Victorian Free Classical building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
Three storey prominent rendered brick hotel building, with attached two storey section at rear and a zero setback from the pavement. There is a decorative parapet with low balustrades and a highly decorative central pediment, engaged pilasters with ashlar effect flank the corners of the building. The ground floor and the first floor have verandas with metal lace work frieze onto brackets and columns; the first floor has a bull nosed corrugated iron roof and metal lace work balustrades.
The Federal Hotel was built and opened in 1887 by Mr James Herbert Jnr, son of James Herbert. A description of the hotel and its rooms is given in a newspaper article "Inquirer and Commercial News, 1887": 'The building is described as being in the Italian style, built of local stone and bricks, the outside walls and cornices being in Portland cement. Stained glass work by Messrs Barnett Bros.'
The hotel was purchased prior to 1901 by Swan Brewery Co Ltd. and was retained until at least 1974, or later. In 1904, architect J. H. Eales was responsible for extensive additions to the Federal Hotel. The western wing extending towards the rear of the premises is even today visibly distinct from that of the original structure.
In c1989 the hotel was changed into Rosie O'Grady's. Internal alterations and rebuilding of the two-storey front verandah and repainting of the front facade were carried out in 1995 by Maxwell Cox Architects. Further internal changes were made in 2001.
Currently (2013), Rosie O'Grady's, an Irish themed hotel.
On file at the Local History Collection: Photos from 1986.
|Name||Type||Year From||Year To|
|1904 additions, J. H. Eales||Architect||-||-|
|George Charles Inskip.||Architect||-||-|
|Library Id||Title||Medium||Year Of Publication|
|7467||Fremantle : beyond the Round House.||Book||2005|
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Victorian Free Classical|
|Federation Free Classical|
|OCCUPATIONS||Commercial & service industries|
|OCCUPATIONS||Hospitality industry & tourism|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.