101 High St Fremantle
Cnr Market St
Constructed from 1890
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||21 Mar 1978||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||28 Oct 1974||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
The Higham Buildings have landmark significance as they are situated on the corner of High and Market Streets. The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust. Awning and shop fronts are not significant.
Two storey prominent and rendered building of co-joined retail shops that return along Market Street with a zero setback from the pavement. The name 'Higham's Buildings' is featured below the highly decorative stucco pediment in the parapet facing High Street, (there are three decorative pediments down Market Street) 'EST. d1853' is in stucco across the truncated corner. The facade has ashlar effect pilasters dividing the building into bays, there are pairs of double hung sash windows with either fanlights or transom lights, the corner has stained glass leadlight (probably not original). There are awnings over the shop fronts (probably not original).
High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.
The first building on this site was a store and residence owned by Mrs M. Higham in the 1850s and 1860s. The date on the current building records the establishment of that original business, not the date of the building's construction. The first buildings were replaced in the 1890s by the 'new' Higham buildings and added to in the 1900s. The building remained in the Higham family until 1974.
Currently (2013), various retail outlets.
|Name||Type||Year From||Year To|
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||COMMERCIAL||Office or Administration Bldg|
|Other Use||COMMERCIAL||Shopping Complex|
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Shopping Complex|
|Federation Free Classical|
|OCCUPATIONS||Commercial & service industries|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.