inHerit Logo

COMMERCIAL BUILDING, 10 ELDER PLACE

Author

z Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number

03705
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

10 Elder Pl Fremantle

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Duty Free Store

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1907

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007 City of Fremantle

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

City of Fremantle
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 09 May 1983

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Fremantle Town Centre dating from the early decades of the twentieth century. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration and a substantially intact street façade, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.

Physical Description

Two storey rendered building with a parapet, and a zero setback from the pavement. The façade has engaged pilasters extending from the ground floor to the first floor on the corners of the building and under the large decorative central pediment.

History

Elder Place was originally named Bay St, derived from the street encircling Shoal Bay on the north of Willis/Ferry Point. The Council renamed a portion of the street Elder Place in 1926, after the company Elder, Smith & Co who had a warehouse in the street.
In 1906-1907 four cottages (Nos. 6-12) existed on Lot 230 Bay Street (now Elder Place). These cottages are shown clearly on photographs Nos. 546, 690 and 1882 held in the Local History Collection. Early in 1907 two of these cottages (Nos. 10 and 12) were demolished and replaced by an office and warehouse for Horrocks and Wadham, general merchants and manufacturers' agents. The opening of the railway station and post office in Market Street in 1907 prompted an increase in building activity in this area.
In May 1907 Fremantle Architect Joseph Frances Allen (1869-1933) was commissioned by Smith and Wadham to prepare plans for the erection of a warehouse and offices in Bay Street. Tenders were invited in June and by October the building had been completed by Mr C. Moore. Allen and Moore had worked together on the number of building projects in Fremantle including a factory and showrooms for Instone and Co, Essex Street (1906), and Strelitz Bros premises, Henry Street (1906). In addition to being general merchants Horrocks and Wadham were the West Australian representatives of the Australasian Jam Company Pty Ltd (the Melbourne factory of H. Jones Co-operative Ltd).
No.10 Elder Place is shown clearly on a Metropolitan Sewerage plan (No. 48) dated August 1916. Here it appears as a four-roomed brick/galvanised iron building, with the galvanized iron portion extending to the rear of the lot. Three of the rooms are divided internally by stone walls. Photographs No. 1862 and No. 1909 from the Local History collection show a partial view of the southern corner of the building. Horrocks and Wadham continue to occupy No. 10 until 1930/31. In 1931/32 H. Jones and Co. Pty Ltd (jam manufacturers) took over occupancy. From 1936-1941 Goldsvaig and Fidock (later I. Goldsvaig and Co Ltd) wool merchants were occupiers.
The building then remained vacant until 1944. From 1945 to 1946 it served as a Medical Aid Post. Fremantle Gas and Coke Co. then occupied No. 10 until 1956, when Bestway Carriers took over occupancy. A 1952 fire survey plan drawn by Mahlstedt's (Victoria) Pty Ltd gives a roof top view of the brick/galvanized iron building. Clearly the rear of the building has been modified between 1916 and 1952 (i.e. galvanized iron section shortened and rear brick room added). Unfortunately no council plans exist.
This place was identified in the "Heritage Report on: 19th century limestone walls and steps in Fremantle" prepared by Silvana Grassadonia, for the City of Fremantle, 1986.
Reginald Arthur Wadham was born in Adelaide. After completing his education at the Prince Alfred College, Adelaide he was articled to public accountant, and later was accountant to the Broken Hill Proprietary Mines at Broken Hill (BHP). In 1895 Mr Wadham arrived in WA and took up the position of sub-manager for Honey and Company, timber millers, Fremantle. Later he left Honey's to join Mr D. J. Goyder and Wadham. In 1901 he withdrew from this partnership and, with Charles J. Horrocks, established the firm of Horrocks and Wadham. Reginald Wadham died at this home in Canning Highway, East Fremantle in October 1930. He was survived by his wife Florence and two married daughters.
Charles John Armitage Horrocks died aged 80 years on 11/7/1957 in Peppermint Grove. He is buried in Karrakatta Cemetery, Roman Catholic Section HA 801.

Condition

Good.

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
Joseph Francis Allen (1869-1933) Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Museum
Present Use COMMERCIAL Other
Present Use GOVERNMENTAL Customs House\Bond Store
Original Use COMMERCIAL Warehouse

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

24 Jul 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

21 Mar 2019

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.