inHerit Logo

Uniting Church

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

01086
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

9 Weld St Gingin

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Ginging Uniting Church
Methodist Church, Wesleyan Church

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1870

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Nov 1994 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance to Shire of Gingin that is worthy of recognition and protection through provisions of the Shire of Gingin's Town Planning Scheme. A Planning Application needs to be submitted to the Shire of Gingin for any proposed development. Recommend: Retain and conserve the place.

Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council
Restrictive Covenant YES

Heritage Council
Uniting Church Inventory Completed 01 Oct 1996

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Jul 1978

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

This Church has been well maintained and used constantly for more than 130 years.

Physical Description

Situated centrally in Gingin, it has recently been renovated, painted cream in colour with a white trim, with a new shingle roof. This was done prior to celebrating 140 years since the Church was originally built.

History

In 1868, Thomas James Jones surrendered part of SL 262 to the Crown being a gift to the Wesleyan Church. Charles Masters was engaged to build the Church and the clay to bake the bricks was obtained from the gully across Weld St. The Church was completed in late 1870 and a visiting clergyman, Rev. Mclnnes conducted services here.
In 1897 the first resident missionary, Walter Prior, was appointed. The Rev Henry Robins was the first ordained Minister appointed to Gingin. In 1914 a Methodist Manse was constructed behind the Church, its first occupant being Rev. Arthur Mason. The Manse was built from weatherboard and consisted of four rooms with a passage from the front door. The kitchen and bathroom were enclosed off the back verandah. A tennis court also existed between the house and the railway line. Circa 1915-1919, sisters Elsie and Ruth Rudeforth were appointed to minister to the congregation as lay preachers. In 1953, missioner Creagh left the district being the last resident Minister at Gingin. The Manse was demolished in 1969 because of a white ant infestation. The Church has been completely restored including the replacing of an iron roof with shingles.

Condition

Very Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 154 & 276

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
622 Restoration of Gingin Uniting Church Heritage Study {Other} 1995
3920 Gingin Townscape Project Report 1991

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.