inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


18 Forrest St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1910

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Physical Description

House, 18 Forrest Street is a single storey limestone and iron house built in 1910 constructed with an asymmetrical facade. Walls are limestone with tuck pointed brick quoining to the door and window openings. The corrugated iron hipped roof has a half-timbered gable and a dropped verandah which is supported by turned timber posts and decorative iron brackets which are probably not original. There are additions to the rear of the house.


In 1909/10 two cottages are recorded on part of 971. One was owned and occupied by William Mulligan, of Sumpton & Co, which can later be traced to No. 20. The other was No. 18, with Mrs Emma Littleton as the owner/occupier.
The 1914 sewerage map (No. 2032) shows Nos. 18 & 20 as houses similar in size and shape, with an asymmetrical façade, a half-length front verandah and a full length rear verandah. No 18 has a weatherboard outbuilding centrally located and attached to the back verandah. (No 20 has a double size lot with some large outbuildings to the rear (north east corner).
Miss E Littleton, Furrier, was still at No. 18 Forrest Street until 1928. Later occupants include William Errington (1930) and Mrs B Sloane (1935), George Walker (1940) and Ellery Malone (1949), suggesting the house became a rental property.
The house was given number 33 in c1935, and became number 18 when the whole street was renumbered in 1939.
Aerial photos (Landgate) show that No 18 has changed very little since it was built, apart from a small rear extension and some newer outbuildings.


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Pointed Brick
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

25 Feb 2003

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.