inHerit Logo

St Stephen's Lutheran Church (fmr)

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

01343
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Cnr Avon & 21 Hassell Sts Katanning

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Church Hall

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1964, Constructed from 1926

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 2

Category 2

• Of very considerable significance to the Shire of Katanning. • High level of protection appropriate.

Statement of Significance

St Stephen's Church is physical evidence of the influx of the German South Australian settlers who arrived in the Shire of Katanning at the turn of the century. Their way of life and religious beliefs were very different to the existing settlers and the church reflects this. Although integration was, at first, not always successful (particularly in light of the two World Wars), these settlers of German descent have become a significant part of the history of the shire.

Physical Description

The church is a simple 3 bay auditory plan with lancet windows. The walls are of brick with stucco string courses. The lower walls have been rendered and the roof replaced with zincalume.
There have been three churches built by the Lutheran community. A second one replaced the original church, and the second was converted into a church hall when the third church was erected.

History

The first Lutheran Church was erected in 1905 in corrugated iron and wood on the site where the present hall now stands. This hall was originally built as a church in 1926 to replace the original church. A third church, the current one was erected in 1964, next-door to the second church, on the site of a house. The second church (1926) underwent modifications and additions to become the church hall, as well as provide room for Sunday school classes.

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Nomination form
Bignell M; "A Place to Meet: a History of the Shire of Katanning Western Australia". UWA Press 1981
Anderson R (ed); "Katanning: A Century of Stories". Shire of Katanning 1988

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Other Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Zincalume
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

31 Jan 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.