inHerit Logo

St Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church


Town of Cambridge

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


47 Peebles Rd Floreat

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1962

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 27 Nov 2018

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Nov 2018 Category 2

Category 2

Considerable Significance Very important to the heritage of the locality. High degree of integrity/authenticity. Conservation of the place is highly desirable. Any alterations or extensions should reinforce the significance of the place.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Dec 1996

Catholic Church Inventory Adopted 01 Jul 1998

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Aesthetic significance for it's general design quality as an example of post-war ecclessiastical architecture.

Historic and social significance representing the presence of the Roman Catholic Church in Floreat from the 1950's. Of particular significance to the members of the church.

Physical Description

The early 1960s church is of concrete panel construction with a distinctive glazed façade incorporating large panels of coloured glass. The church comes under the late 20th century ecclesiastical architectural design where traditional church design gave way to a more flexible design approach that was reflective of changing liturgical practices.

St Cecilia’s is a five sided building with each face incorporating a shallow pitched gable roof creating a dynamic roofline resulting in a landmark building in the streetscape. The roof is clad in colorbond with skylights along the ridgeline of the western roof section.

The principal façade is positioned at a slight angle facing the intersection of Grantham Street and Kenmore Crescent. The façade consists of three main bays of intersection glass and concrete panels flanked by angled glazed and concrete walls. The remaining elevations are a mix of plain concrete panelled walls and glazed and concrete panels walls.

There is an element of transparency through the building courtesy of the abundance of windows. The church adjoins the Newman College site and is surrounded by both hard and soft landscaping.


By the late 1950's, it became apparent that another parish was needed to cope with the ever increasing numbers of Catholics moving into the areas beyond Wembley. Some years earlier the Perth City Council had allocated to the Archdiocese of Perth land bounded by Grantham & Brookdale Streets and Peebles Road and Kenmore Crescent. The initial four blocks were sold to the Brigidine Sisters and were used by them to build a secondary school.

On the 20th March 1960, the parish of St. Cecilia's, Floreat was created. Initially, weekend masses were celebrated in the Floreat Park State School. The Church is named after St. Cecilia who was a Roman patrician, virgin, martyr, and patron saint of musicians who lived in the second and third centuries.

The architectural design for the new church in Floreat was completed in May 1961 by local architect Raymond Jones. Raymond Alfredo Daniel Jones (1925- ), born in Geelong Victoria, trained at the University of Melbourne after serving with the Australian Navy during World War Two. He was particularly influenced by the works of Robin Boyd and as reflected in the spatial continuity between building and landscape, as well as his environmental design philosophy.

Jones relocated to Western Australia in the 1950s and was an influential practitioner through the works of his own practice and as a mentor. He had ongoing interests and passions in ecological design, through the use of skillion roofing and courtyard spaces as well as passive ventilation and site orientation.

Building of the church commenced in 1961 and completed within the year. The new church was blessed and dedicated by Archbishop Prendiville on 26th February 1961. The original presbytery was built alongside the church soon after.

The Stations of the Cross, carved in wood in Genoa, Italy were donated to the parish and erected in the church in November 1964. The parking area for cars was completed in May 1966. Alterations to the sanctuary to facilitate the celebration of mass with the priest facing the congregation and the concrete and glass screen behind the altar were carried out over the course of 1968.

In 1977, the confessional used for the Sacrament of Penance was modified to permit the option of "open" confession. Two years later, the Baptismal Font was relocated to the sanctuary.

The altar rails were removed in 1982 to facilitate the congregation receiving communion standing up.

During the course of 1986, specifications were drawn up for the purchase of a new pipe organ and construction of the organ began in February 1987. On 20 November 1987, St Cecilia's Church was solemnly dedicated by Archbishop Foley. The feast of St. Cecilia in 1988, marked the blessing of the organ by Bishop Healy and the inaugural recital by organist John Beaverstock, accompanied by a 17 piece chamber orchestra.

The amalgamation of the two former separate parishes, Floreat and Wembley, took place in 1990.

By 1998, the condition of the original presbytery had deteriorated to the extent that it was no longer habitable . Plans were developed for a new presbytery [with accommodation for two priests], parish offices, meeting rooms, and a hall with kitchen facilities and toilets. The new buildings, designated as the parish centre were constructed and occupied in 2000.

In the second half of 2003, the sanctuary area of St. Cecilia's was significantly renovated with a marble floor being laid, a new Baptismal Font, the provision of additional lighting on the sanctuary, one confessional being converted to storage for musical instruments and related equipment and with the walls on either side of the altar being rendered.

In November and December 2010, the sacristies were refurbished with new cupboards/storage facilities, some new tiling and blinds installed. The main lobby of the church was also re-carpeted.

The roof of the Church, Parish Centre and presbytery were replaced in early 2012 having been damaged by a severe storm the previous year.

To mark the 50th Anniversary of St Cecilia's Church in 2012, local sculptor Peter Graham, designed a sculptures in the form of a harp with a palm branch signifying St. Cecilia as patron of music and a martyr of the church. The sculpture is located in the courtyard between St. Cecilia's church and the Parish Centre.


Integrity: High Degree
Authenticity: High Degree




Name Type Year From Year To
Raymond Jones Architect 1962 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Ahead of the Pack in Architectural Thinking, ABC News Online Reference 29 March 2011
Goad, Philip; Willis, Julie [eds] The Encyclopaedia of Australian Architecture, Cambridge University Press Book 2012
Floreat Wembley Catholic Parish Website 2017
Aerial photographs, Landgate. Online Reference 1953-2016

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
10150 Raymond Jones Architecture: Part 1 - An overview. Electronic 2013
10151 Raymond Jones Architecture: Part 2 - Raymond's Houses 1957 -1967 Electronic 2013
9746 Raymond Jones: architectural projects Book 2011

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Architectural Styles

Post-War Ecclesiastical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Other Metal
Wall CONCRETE Pre-cast concrete panel
Other GLASS Glass

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

16 Jul 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

24 Nov 2020


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.